• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Geek Conventions

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Does anyone here love geek conventions like I do?
I'm talking those massive pop culture conventions where thousands of geeks, nerds and gamers get together, dress up in costumes, have photos/signatures with celebrities and buy heaps of shit. It's amazing. Sort of like comic con I suppose.

I'm saying this because this Saturday I am going to my 5th geek convention and am so excited. There are two major ones in my state each year and I have made it an annual tradition to go to both.

We sometimes get some big names too. Last year we had Summer Glau AND Eliza Dushku. This year we have Tom Felton (Malfoy from Harry Potter) and even Christopher Lloyd from the Back to the Future films.

Even though I say it's "like" comic con I really mean Australia's much smaller versions. Like most geeky conventions goers here comic con would be an ultimate dream for me to attend.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Eliza Dushku!
Christopher Lloyd

I actually wish I could be there - I've never frequented such an occasion, basically because I didn't know they exist.
What sorta stuff do you intend to come away with from this thing? Do you go and hope certain stuff will be available for you to snap up?

viLky

ykLiv
Besides the dressing up part, yeah, they're cool. Fun to get out of the house and check out the different events out there. See what everybody is up to, who likes what and meet people who have the same or similar interests as you.

The best part is when I spot a hot model dressed up as a popular character, I always ask myself if she knows who she's suppose to be. ^_^

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I may regret admitting this, but I've been to half a dozen or so Star Trek conventions. It's hard to assemble a more hardcore gang of Übernerds than those guys.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I actually wish I could be there - I've never frequented such an occasion, basically because I didn't know they exist.
What sorta stuff do you intend to come away with from this thing? Do you go and hope certain stuff will be available for you to snap up?
It's so much fun, you should go to one some time!

I come home with all sorts of things. DVD's, comics, manga, art, figurines, posters, fake swords/weapons... pretty much all things geeky! I usually go with a 'list' of things I would like to buy if I see them there but I always end up just buying things I see. A lot of artists set up stalls there and sell their own original art, it's a great place to go if you want to decorate a wall.

viLky said:
Besides the dressing up part, yeah, they're cool. Fun to get out of the house and check out the different events out there. See what everybody is up to, who likes what and meet people who have the same or similar interests as you.

The best part is when I spot a hot model dressed up as a popular character, I always ask myself if she knows who she's suppose to be. ^_^
I never dress up myself, but I love seeing everyone elses cosplay. It's fun lining up for food or something and having a Batman behind you and a storm trooper in front of you.

And yeah... I sometimes think that about those hot cosplay girls too sometimes. I think to myself "what nerd told you to dress up like that" :lol:.

Tucker said:
I may regret admitting this, but I've been to half a dozen or so Star Trek conventions. It's hard to assemble a more hardcore gang of Übernerds than those guys.
I have a new found respect for you.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have never been to any conventions really but I would like to go to more film conventions, I would for instance love to go to South X South West and something like Cannes Film Festival.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
^ Yeah Cannes would be my bag. Nice place, awesome festival and I adore films so that's my sorta thing.

Although these geek things sound pretty good. I mean, if it caters for a wide range of geekdom, then there's probably something for everyone.
I mean, we're all geeks really, in some capacity - and it's gotta be true 'cause Patrick Jane said so in The Mentalist.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Although these geek things sound pretty good. I mean, if it caters for a wide range of geekdom, then there's probably something for everyone.
I mean, we're all geeks really, in some capacity - and it's gotta be true 'cause Patrick Jane said so in The Mentalist.
It really has something for everyone. The one I am going too includes video games, anime, manga, comics, TV stars, Film stars, books, Indie art, comic art, cosplay etc etc. There's sort of something for every type of geek or even non geek that you can imagine here.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I go to the NYC ComicCon almost every year, if that counts. I would count that.

I have so many recent memories of seeing some of my favorite stars from some of my favorite shows.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
So yeah the geek convention I went to yesterday was awesome.

I was in a group of 6 people and we ALL bought replica Samurai Swords. Playing with swords is so fun!