• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

GE exempted from emission regs?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Obama issues global warming rules in January, gives GE an exemption in February | Timothy P. Carney | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

Why is it that when Obama's administration issues new regulations, soon they give their buddies an exemption? What's up wit dat!

It seems that soon America will have two classes: those that have a government connection (friends in high places), and those that do not.

Welcome to Obama's Amerika!

Back to the USSA!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think it has anything to do with Obama. It's more so that our country is run by these huge corporations. They have the power.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I don't think it has anything to do with Obama. It's more so that our country is run by these huge corporations. They have the power.
Corporations don't get to vote, make laws, or join the court. It would seem to me government runs Bank of America, Merril-Lynch, AIG, Chrysler, GM, etc. Government RULES (had to throw that in there :lol:) corporations. Then their buddies at Google and GE have a place at the table. So the Obama administration is picking favorites, winners and losers, isn't that what corrupt dictatorships and communists do?

This doesn't even touch on the unholy alliance between organized labor, the democrat party, and especially the Obama administration. Why do unions make up 40% of those exempted from obamacare when they represent less than 20% of total workforce?

TX_Naturalist

Registered Member
While I'm not a fan of Obama, this is nothing new in American politics. The large corporations pay millions and billions of dollars through lobbying and campaign contributions in Washington to defend their interests.

You say that corporations don't get to vote or make laws... I must disagree. Take a look at how many higher ups in the government have at one time been execs in these large corporations. If you want a real example look into Monsanto and the USDA and tell me who's making the laws and running the show. This has been going on for decades. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Since 1998, 43 percent of the 198 members of Congress who left government to join the private sector have registered to lobby using the 'revolving door of influence'.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
So the Obama administration is picking favorites, winners and losers, isn't that what corrupt dictatorships and communists do?
Actually, that's what just about every human authority, democratic or otherwise, does; it kinda goes with the territory. All previous presidents did similar things, but more importantly, I guarantee there would be just as many examples of favours falling down to the supporters of any future elected Conservative administration.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Obama issues global warming rules in January, gives GE an exemption in February | Timothy P. Carney | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

Why is it that when Obama's administration issues new regulations, soon they give their buddies an exemption? What's up wit dat!

It seems that soon America will have two classes: those that have a government connection (friends in high places), and those that do not.

Welcome to Obama's Amerika!

Back to the USSA!
I must agree to other posters, Big Business has always had influences over government in almost every country. Big Business has much to do with politics and economy, this gives them much power in government. This is not to even mention the methods Big Business use to "buy" or influence voting for or against laws and regulations.
Campaign Funding, PAC's, Soft Money, Independent Expenditures, Public Financing are all ways to give money to member of government officials in both private and in public manners. Then there is the Billions Big Business spend for Public adds, direct, legislative and grassroots lobbying etc... it goes on and on and has been happening through out our world since Big Business and government began in almost every region in the world.

None of this makes it "the right thing to do" but it is the way it has been and part of the problem with government of any policy.

Last edited:

shelgarr

Registered Member
I don't see it as big business bossing government around. I see it as government lightening up their hold on industry that are subject to over-regulation.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Are you suggesting he's the only president who has ever had ties with a big corporation? Because this has been a clear problem for decades now. It's hardly enough of a reason to start crying communism. Also, you said corporations don't get to vote.

Did you forget that corporate personhood crap last from last year (year before?) already? Big business has gotten quite cozy with our government these past 20-30 years. Blaming it on Obama or pointing a finger like it's his vision of the country is not that realistic.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
GE took hundreds of millions in the bailout that they didn't need.
GE took millions from the stimulus.
GE has an entire network that does nothing but support Obama and attack anyone that opposes him.
GE's CEO was given a position inside the Obama administration.
GE flies with Obama to China and Korea to work on God knows what type of trade deals.

I just don't think there's ever been this level of quid pro quo with an administration.

Obama gets a 24 attack dog barking at anyone that opposes him and political donations. GE gets their asses bailed out financially, their green energy division subsidized, special trade deals and exemptions from Obama's oppressive regulations. That's just way out of the bounds of anything that I've ever seen.
------
Just thought of another way GE is screwing you. GE makes the components for electric cars. The Obama administration gives $7500 of taxpayer money to anyone that buys an electric car. cha-ching for GE.
GE buys 25000 electric cars from GM and gets the tax credit for it. cha-ching, cha-ching.
These stupid cars only work for any lenght if state governments buy these ridiculous charging stations manufactured by GE. cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching:

If you pay taxes, you just got screwed 3 times.:sick:

Last edited: