"Gay News"?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by TimmehD, May 24, 2008.

1. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

As I like to remain an informed citizen of our Ignorant States of America, I have several RSS feeds from the main news sites (CNN, Newsweek, Google) bookmarked and I check them fairly often. A few minutes ago, however, I was browsing the top stories and seen "What is RSS".

At first glance I thought, "'What is RSS' isn't much of a story", then I saw the publisher: Seattle Gay News. I was taken aback first off, more confused than anything. Why in the world would we need a specifically homosexual newspaper? In fact, what even makes it "Gay News"? Obviously they're covering things that all the other news industries are covering...just with "pride".

Don't look at this as being a strike against homosexual people, because it's not and I don't plan to make this a debate on whether it's right or wrong, etc. I simply am confounded as to why publications like 365 Gay, Express Gay News, or National Gay News are even logical. I have a gut feeling that the response to "Florida Straight News" would not be so positive.

Thoughts? :stare:

Last edited: May 24, 2008

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

There are plenty of publications for straight people. Ever see a copy of Maxim or Cosmopolitan? Granted, they aren't "news" publications, per se, but what can you do?

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I was shocked when I first heard about them, too. But, I stopped for a second and thought of all the things in a gay lifestyle. When many things came to mind, I understood why they would want to have this. Their own world, own fashion, nightclubs, ect.. ect...

So, yeah... I'm not too shocked by it anymore. =)

4. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

As a lesbian, I too, am confused by the need for "gay news." I almost do wanna create a news site called "Florida Straight News."

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Fee-nix

I always find it a bit weird when there is 'news' for one group of people- gay news, black news, jewish news, Martian news, etc., etc.
    I think news should just be news- bits and pieces from the whole spectrum of people.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

This is why I don't read magazines much anymore.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I'm confused as well. If they're covering the same things as regular news, then the "gay" isn't that necessary. If they were reporting on actual "gay" events and such, then I'd see the point. If they can have gay news, then I want some chinese news. Oh wait, I already do...

8. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

I think it's more a sale factor. The published work is always going to be biased to favor homosexual people in whatever way therefore they're going to buy it. Hell, wouldn't you buy a magazine that makes every article picture you as the good guy somehow? Also, if the Seatle Gay News and Newsweek run the same article I'm sure the SGN will get buys over Newsweek because it says "Gay". Everyone is biased, look at the presidential election...how many votes are Obama or Hillary or McCain getting because of their race/gender/or race respectively?

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

But thare are also a lot of women's magazines (probably men's too but I just don't know about those) that sometimes do carry articles that are not women specific - still, they're part of the mag. I don't see anything wrong with it, so I guess I don't find any issue with news mags that have Gay or Men on their title even if they carried articles not specific to men/gay.

10. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Specialty news for various ethnic, sexual, or religious groups seems perfectly logical to me. The way the mass media in America approaches homosexuality isn't exactly egalitarian and fair, thus their coverage of gay issues and interests isn't exactly complete or without bias. Also, a traditional newspaper or news outlet isn't a source of all information, rather bits from each community. If you want information about a specific thing, you go for speciality news. Duh.

Gay news, for those that haven't read much of it, is a combination of news that especially concerns the gay community (discrimination most often), and then a lot of culture stuff. If you read the Post-Intelligencer for example, you'll notice there isn't a very complete listing of gay events or festivals. Thus 'gay news' provides the best compilation of stuff that would interest the gay community, but not other groups as much. Finally, a LOT of it is gay personals, which may not be accepted in some newspapers, or due to space requirements may be more expensive in regular circulation papers.