• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

gas prices

Great_Bain

All i have to say is i am tired if gas being so high! The government needs to release its storage of gas or something. The gas prices are raising the cost of everything. Here in kentucky gas stays between 3-4 dollars a gallon does anyone else agree with me? I think its time the government did something and lower prices:rant::rant::rant:

Last edited:

Dragon

V.I.P.
Gas prices are high. The gas here is just below $3 a gallon. I went to Speedways yesterday and you can save 5 cents a gallon on gas if you have a Speedy Rewards card. It's not much but at least if will save you some money on gas. Also, we have a grocery store called Giant Eagle and if you spend $50 or more, you can save 10 cents a gallon on gas. So if you spend $100 on groceries, you get 20 cents off a gallon on gas.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
the thing with rising gas prices is that even though the government could bring out more gas, that would not do much to solve our problems. for one thing, gasoline is a petrolium byproduct. petrolium is a non-renewable source that is becoming less and less readily available. also, the gasoline we use emmits greenhouse gasses that are detramental to our atmosphere and to us. i think a better solution to this problem of expensive fuel is to find alternative sources such as vegatable oil, hydrogen cells, solar energy, electricity, etc.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
We could technically start using our oil from Alaska, but, I think I agree with the idea that saving for later is better than using now just to make prices cheaper.

I think it's time alternate fuel research finally gets the funding it deserves. Alternate fuel technologies are out there, but, until they can be perfected AND made cheap enough for mainstream consumers it won't do much good for anybody.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
good point, Andrew. I still think the government should put some serious money and reserch into utilizing alternate fuels and making them available and inexpensive in the meantime, though

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
But how far will our car technology have increased in say 20 years. We may have fully electric cars by that time that actually work. If this is the case then drilling in Alaska will save us billions in the long run. Of course it all depends on our scientists

We could also build some more oil refineries. We haven't had a new one in like 30 years. That would lower prices.

If our government did release its oil reserves, the refineries wouldn't even have enough capacity to keep up with the extra oil. Clinton tried that back in the 90s. The extra oil had little effect when he released it because of our shortage of refineries.

dDave

V.I.P.
It would have long term benefits on a car company if they started making cars that run on electricity instead of gasoline. In the long run we all know that the oil supply is eventually going to run out, no matter what people say. People are most likely to trust somebody who has been in the business (meaning the electric car business) for a long time, just because their stuff is most likely to run the best because they will have had the most experience.

Did that make any sense?
------
Actually Alaska doesn't have as much oil as some people say it is. Since Alaska basically supplied the oil for World War II there isn't even half of what there used to be, if we started using Alaska's oil then it wouldn't last us 5 years.

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
No, you should get your facts straight before you post. Drilling in Alaska would have a major effect on our gas prices. Alaska's reserve is one of the largest left in the world.

Teorropy

I thought someone told me that most of the congressmen are invested in gasoline and oil, if that is true, that might explain why we haven't went to an alternative fuel usage.

That might lessen their pocket books. The world is run on money, or money makes the world go around.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Ya, their are a lot of "conspiracies" involving our government.

A classic example of this was in the mid 1800s when the railroad owners walked into the US senate and handed senators $50,000 in envelopes to secure their rights to land in the west.

I would have to guess that some senators and reps today are also being controlled by the oil companies, or heavily invested in them.