• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gary Bettman

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Gary Bettman doesn't have many fans, but he didn't become the commissioner to make any. What are your thoughts about Gary Bettman the commissioner, and Gary Bettman the man? Try to keep it as PG as you possibly can lol ;).

Rehmo

I think hes a product of a broken system. He gets blamed for strikes and a shitty rule system, yet hes just a figure head. I dont think hes innocent by any means but he does get the shit end of the stick alot.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Lol! I'll upgrade it to a 14A..I was just playing ;). I think as human being, he's an arrogant prick that knows his job is pretty much safe. He couldn't give two shits about hockey fans or the sport. As a businessman, for some reason what he does seem to work, but yet he still doesn't fully understand that teams from Florida or Arizona don't have a place in hockey. Most owners make money with him under control so they have no issue with him. He needs to realize though that the fans are making it work and we should've have boycotted a few games after the lockout to show him who runs the show.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Gary Bettman is a mouthpiece on an ego-trip. Nothing more, nothing less. Reason why we have teams that fail year after year is because of Bettman's vision that was supported by the owners. He was a lawyer and he still is. He will do anything and everything under the sun to swing a deal.

He once had the guys running CBC sports down to New York for a little pow-wow to discuss the upcoming TV deal. He got them to meet them in some night club in the mean streets that would make Capone and Hoffa nervous. He constantly tried to work out deals to get more Toronto games to TSN. After the were leaving the bar, the CBC guys never had a ride and, because of where this club was, you would get shived before you hailed a cab. Bettman offered them a ride if they'd let TSN have one more Toronto game.

He's a smug, putrid looking smurf, that makes my skin crawl when I hear him try to spin one of his brilliant ideas to us. He treated us, the fans, like a door mat. He didn't care about having a lock out because "the last time the fans came back". So he had no problem to take us for granted.

He understand Florida. He understands Arizona. The thing is, there's too many buddies on the board of governors that won't allow these teams to move. They'd prefer to suck "the top dog" dollars to protect their NBC deal.

I wish I could speak about Gary Bettman. Unfortunately, the things I think about him would land me in jail.

Sabby

I hate Gary Bettman with every fibre of my being. The owners have their hands so far up his ass it's rediculous. I pray that one day he wakes up and miracously discovers integrity. He needs to realise that he runs the leage, and needs to lead it into a properous (for all) 21st Century. He's a millionaire many times over. I'd love for him to say F**k it, I'm rich, I'm going to do what's best for the games, who cares if the owners squeeze me out. I'm a made man, and I'd like to leave with my head held high, and gain at least a bit of respect from the fans who pay hard earned money to keep the game alive.

Willey101

people who criticize Bettman are essentially clueless to the ins and outs of the NHL. He is a puppet who's strings are pulled by the Board of Governors. If the board decides they want to remove a team from Winnipeg or Atlanta or wherever then Gary as the front man and puppet makes sure it happens.

So let's talk about what happened to this league under Bettman.

TV contracts are 10 times what they used to be. Revenues are up something like 50%, players salaries are higher than they have ever been. The game is being marketed across NA to the point where the state of Califrona is producing a large number of NHL players. We now see Caucasian, Afrircan American/Canadian, latino, Muslim and every other minority within NA producing NHL calibre players.

He is a personality that is bred to hate but when it comes to the game, it has absolutely never been better or stronger.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I do not doubt for a second that the game would have grew with someone else at the helm also. I know who pulls the strings but to say that Bettman does not make decisions is crazy. I think Bettman has more power and pull than some people would like to admit. I am sure the BoG were not strong arming Bettman to use fowl tactics to get more Maple Leaf games for TSN.