Garden veg

RATTIE

Registered Member
Does anyone grow their own veg?
We would like to start but haven't done it before. :-/
We have some potatoes with shoots in the cupboard, if I stick them in the ground will they grow in to an edible crop?

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Yes I grow my own veggies.

You are going to have to turn the soil and add nitrous to the soil. Yes potatoes will grow if you just plant them.

I grow corn, bell peppers, squash, zucchini, potatoes, Snap peas, carrots, and pumkins.

Every year you have to till or turn the soil and add nutrients back into the soil before you plant. It's also best to have a way to cover your garden for the first month (to keep the birds out). You can find some great ideas online for making covered gardens.

You can find Rail Road ties on craigs list for free from time to time and those make the best garden boarders and can even be stacked a few times to make an above ground garden.

I picked up a couple of ties from CL and used them and saved myself a few hundread dollars by doing so.

I would also recommend you start a compost heap. You can get a 30 gal trash can and do it in one of those. The compost will hell your garden grow by 30%

RATTIE

Registered Member
Thank you so much for your help. :cool:
We have a compost heap so will be turning that in as soon as the weather permits.
I turned it all over the other day, took me 3 days actually as I kept tucking the worms back in safely. :lol:
I'll have a look at CL too, thank you.
I'm not sure exactly what I can grow outside, without a greenhouse, here in the UK but we will grow as much as we can so any help at all will be most gratefully welcomed. :)

Yes Its a good idea to grow potatoes.

It doesn't need anything except a loose, moist soil overing it.

As said it doesn't need soil to be turned, just add vegetable wastes to the soil it'll make the soil more fertile.

If you're planning on growing a large garden make sure you have enough beer on hand... Snails are attrated to alcohol so pour some beer in a tray and leave it in your garden. Following day squash the suckers.

RATTIE

Registered Member
If you're planning on growing a large garden make sure you have enough beer on hand... Snails are attrated to alcohol so pour some beer in a tray and leave it in your garden. Following day squash the suckers.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
THAT'S HORRIBLE!!!!
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
No, I wont be willingly killing anything.
If things get bad I'll invest in copper edging/tape.
There's plenty of birds and mice around to keep things under control though.

Besides, any alcohol in the vicinity will be going straight down MY throat! :nod: