Gaming prime

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Do you think there is such a thing as a gaming prime, where a certain age group is better at video games or that your skills will diminish as you get older?

I don't know if it's because I rarely play video games anymore, but I'm definitely not as sharp as I used to be. I was playing Zelda the other day and I had some trouble figuring some things out, and I kept getting destroyed by the final boss. I thought to myself, "There is no way an 8 year old would be able to beat this shit." Then I remembered how good some of my friends and I were when we were younger and I figured 8 year olds probably wouldn't be having any trouble whatsoever beating this game I was struggling with. I think I'm past my prime. :(

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I don't know about everyone else but I seem to be getting better at games all the time, even when I go for long periods of not playing at all I feel as if I'm getting better, now with games like Super Mario 64 it might take me just a bit to get used to it but once I'm going (probably 20 minutes later) it seems as if I'm better than ever.

If I'm ever going to have a gaming prime, I'm either still in it, or I haven't hit it yet.

Man for some reason this thread gave me the urge to play Metroid Prime :lol: that's weird.

Oh and to answer the OP, (of course) I don't think that certain age groups are better than other age groups, if gaming prime exists then I believe it happens completely decidedly on the individual and how often they play games and how long they have played games for.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Well you're right in what I would consider the gaming prime. About 14-21 or so is the age range that I think people's skills will peak. If you look at professional gamers, almost all of them are in that range. Maybe people that age are just more interested in video games and play a lot more. I don't know.

Twitch

Registered Member
I don't think I have a peak. Mine is probably more like.. a line going up to age 12, then it'll go until, idk.. 40, then slowly decline until I can't play video games anymore.

But I guess people can have gaming primes. Different for each person, though.

Yes, in all aspects of gaming. My drive to finish the game isn't as great as it use to be, I'm getting 5th - 15th place out of 25 people instead of 1st - 5th (FPS games), I'm losing my skill at micromanaging my character in games, having a tougher time keeping them alive and, of course, I'm getting confused as heck with hotkeys. I use to be able to control all the hotkeys I'm given, and now I can barely remember or use 5 of them. >.<;

I'm 24 and I notice my skills dipping within the past year, year and a half.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you think there is such a thing as a gaming prime, where a certain age group is better at video games or that your skills will diminish as you get older?

I don't know if it's because I rarely play video games anymore, but I'm definitely not as sharp as I used to be. I was playing Zelda the other day and I had some trouble figuring some things out, and I kept getting destroyed by the final boss. I thought to myself, "There is no way an 8 year old would be able to beat this shit." Then I remembered how good some of my friends and I were when we were younger and I figured 8 year olds probably wouldn't be having any trouble whatsoever beating this game I was struggling with. I think I'm past my prime. :(
I would say it's only because in our "old age" (give me a break, I'm going to game until I die :D) we're a little more focused on other things in life. It's hard to really give full attention to a game and not to mention, you just don't have the same ridiculous overload of energy most kids have (although today, that's called ADD).

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I used to play a ton of videogames. I haven't really played them much since high school though. I guess I kind of grew out of them. I buy PC games from time to time but I can't get addicted to them anymore. I will buy a game and play it for a few hours and then not play it again for a year.

I'm probably worse at gaming because of it but I don't think there is a "gaming prime" unless prime is just the phase of your life when you are addicted to gaming. There are some older gamers who are insane at games. It all has to do with how much time you spend.