• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gaming Annoyances

BigBob

Registered Member
The XBox 360 software-based backwards compatibility. Thanks to it, I need to drag my old XBox out whenever I feel like playing Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders. Or anything else that isn't playable on the 360, like Yager.
Well if you ever decide to upgrade, I'm pretty sure the newer 360's (the Slims) are completely backwards compatable becaues I know some games I have that weren't compatable on old ones are compatable on it.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Well if you ever decide to upgrade, I'm pretty sure the newer 360's (the Slims) are completely backwards compatable becaues I know some games I have that weren't compatable on old ones are compatable on it.
Changing the console won't change a thing, though. It's all based upon software emulation and, according to MS, emulation profiles. What's backwards compatible or not is based upon if MS has actually released a profile for the game or not, which you can get via Xbox Live.

In other words, if MS hasn't actually released an emulation profile for your old game, it ain't running.

Having said that, it appears Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is backwards compatible now. But not Yager, so I still have to drag out the old console for that.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I definitely agree with the hockey AI. I've been up 4-0 going into the third, my goalie is playing an amazing game... and they'll score 4 goals in the first half of the period. Then it's a struggle for me to even win the game. I know that can happen in real hockey... but it happens way too frequently in those games. Haha.

I'll have to think of more.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Here is another one... UN-MAPPABLE CONTROLS. I need the option to change the control scheme or else I will cry.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Here is another one... UN-MAPPABLE CONTROLS. I need the option to change the control scheme or else I will cry.
This reminds me of a great one - console control pop-ups in a PC game.

Come on, look, I know that not all of you put much effort into porting a console game to the PC. But for Christ sake, at least put the right bloody button presses in! I don't want to be told to press the red B button when I've got a mouse in one hand and the WASD keys under another!

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This reminds me of a great one - console control pop-ups in a PC game.

Come on, look, I know that not all of you put much effort into porting a console game to the PC. But for Christ sake, at least put the right bloody button presses in! I don't want to be told to press the red B button when I've got a mouse in one hand and the WASD keys under another!
Do you have any examples? Very few ideas of games that have that problem come to mind.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I just thought of another one...

When the voices aren't synced with the movement of the mouth.

That drives me nuts.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This one doesn't bother me.

I had listened to the Zipper Podcast pretty much non-stop last year and this was one of the Number One non-story specific questions that kept popping up. Will Socom 4's controls be User-Mappable (custom option).

Zipper went on a long spiel about how they had thought of putting in an option for Custom Mapping... but then they conceded by saying it defeats the purpose of the Developers effort to design its control scheme. That they spend hours and hours and hours developing what feels the best with their game.

That probably doesnt mean much to the Gamer, I mean hell in the FPS world we consume Game after Game and expect the Control schemes to be identical and if they're not we want to Map them that way.

but yeah, that Podcast gave me a new perspective and respect for Button Layouts.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
I'm going to have to agree with Impact on the cutscenes. The one game that did it in for me though.... Mass fucking Effect. Goddamnit. Some you could skip, but sections like the conduit race where if you failed you had to suffer through again...and again.

Yeah OK I'm sorry, I know a lot of you are going "well that was easy" because really, I have a hard time believing that something so simple like that dreadful conduit race would even be implemented in the first place if it was so easy. I looked up strat guides and even talked with several people who completed the game. I gave up. I wanted to know precisely what I was doing wrong and none of us could figure it out. After about the 13th or so attempt and using all the strats, with several blowing me up when my vehicle's nose was touching the portal. Either it was me, or a hardware issue, I was fucking done. I refused to go through the cutscene again and removed the game.

All I ask is nobody ever bring up the conduit race. Thank you.