• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gamestop removing coupons for free onlive service

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If you purchase your copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at a retail store, you're supposed to receive a code that allows you to play the game for free using the online gaming service OnLive. It's a neat giveaway, and it certainly gives gamers an incentive to try the service, but a leaked memo seems to show GameStop's fear of digital delivery: employees are allegedly being asked to open every game and remove the coupon.
GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code

Apparently there was a memo leaked to the public with instructions from a head office for gamestop employees to remove coupons from Deus Ex games being sold. Apparently SquareEnix was shipping coupons for a free trial of the OnLive game service and GameStop is removing them because they're making a push for digital game service or something like that in the future. I guess they wanted to remove competition?

I think it's silly. It's a free trial. They're not making money on the coupon, just advertising. I don't think GameStop has a right to do this to SquareEnix, they should just sell the games as is.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Gamestop has a history of fucking their customers. I'm glad to say it's been nearly a year since I've bought anything from them.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Up here in Canada, we have EB Games, which is a franchise of GameStop I think. I find that I can get games there cheaper if I'm looking for used, but if I want brand new, Walmart tends to be at least 10-15 bucks cheaper after the first couple months, where as EB tends to stay expensive for years.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I'm buying the latest Gears from them and then other than used games, I won't be buying anymore. At least until my subscription runs out, I won't be renewing or shopping there anymore after that.