• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Games to blame" - NRA

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I found this Forbes article whilst looking for the laws surrounding control etc and it made me laugh somewhat:

NRA Press Conference: Blame Video Games and Movies, Not Guns

The NRA just wrapped up a long-awaited press conference to address the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook. The event was hyped as containing a major announcement for the organization which has come under fire for its agenda as the number and severity of mass shootings continues to rise in America.

So, what would the big announcement be? Would they finally be willing to admit that assault weapons aren’t necessary for hunting? That people don’t need extended magazines in rifles for personal protection?

Please, the answer is more guns, of course.

I’m writing about this here, in our little corner of the site, because in the speech, Wayne LaPierre, executive vice-president of the NRA, cited violent video games as a contributing factor in tragedies like these. ”Guns don’t kill people.” he said. “Video games, the media and Obama’s budget kill people.” He even called out a few by name:

“There exists in this country, sadly, a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells and stows violence against its own people, through vicious, violent video games with names like “Bulletstorm,” “Grand Theft Auto,” “Mortal Kombat,” and “Splatterhouse.”

Read more...
I want to state I don't and never have believed that all owners of guns are the reason for shootings, some have no intention of taking anyone's lives but it does seem that whenever this tragedies or problems occur the blame is squarely pointed at the media industry be it games, films or music. The Sun has already done it blaming Black Ops 2 for the most recent tragedy despite less than three months giving it a massive thumbs up.

I play a lot of violent games, I listen to what many would call "violent music" but I have never once considered doing anything violent towards others, I have morals, I know the difference between right and wrong and maybe, just maybe if parents taught this we would have less problems.

Also if the NRA think that these are the problems how can they account for the problems before the 1980s before video games and before the 1900s when films emerged? Violence did not start with these things and yet according to the NRA this is the reason but once again the NRA seems to have not bothered even contacting the makers of these games to defend themselves.

To the NRA I would say this: If you really believe that this is the problem and if you truly believe that games are the issue not guns then explain why instead of blaming everyone else for these problems and not facing up to the fact that you should take part of the responsibility for this, was Obama in power when Columbine happened?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I blame the person that pulled the trigger and not the gun or video games. If anything other than the shooter is to blame I think we should blame the break down of the family or your surroundings that you were raised in, experiences in life, bullying, abusive parents.

I can see if a person is unstable to begin with video games, movies or even books might make a impression on them but that didn't cause the instability. You could outlaw everything and these types would still find a inspiration and a means to commit mass murder.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I wonder. Do people make these assumptions because they truely believe that video games, music, television, firearms, etc. are the cause? Or do they do it because all they're looking for is a scapegoat? That actually looking for an underlying cause is too much hard work and effort, and may result in having to swallow some very hard truths?

Regardless, considering the number of times the NRA has had to argue against the "it's the gun's fault" position, I expected better of any of their spokespeople.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I wonder. Do people make these assumptions because they truely believe that video games, music, television, firearms, etc. are the cause? Or do they do it because all they're looking for is a scapegoat? That actually looking for an underlying cause is too much hard work and effort, and may result in having to swallow some very hard truths?

Regardless, considering the number of times the NRA has had to argue against the "it's the gun's fault" position, I expected better of any of their spokespeople.
This.

I think the NRA does more to help the image of the 'gun nut' become plausible more than it does to help erase it. Of course guns kill people, but guns only kill people when someone pulls the trigger. It requires the will of the user to do what it is capable of. Blaming tools is an illogical standpoint to take and has never been proven useful.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
It is just playing the blame game, and there is plenty of finger pointing to go around. It highlights the ridiculous idea of blaming an object instead of the person who committed the act. If guns are to blame then so is everything else.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Here's the problem though. There is a substantial number of people who suffer from different types of mental illnesses. Many of these people have a hard time distinguishing between what is real and what is not. Many of these people have violent tendencies. While many understand blaming a gun when someone goes on a shooting spree is illogical, as Merc pointed out someone pulled the trigger, and that someone is mentally ill. As such, we attempt to prohibit these people from owning or possessing a firearm. Doesn't it make sense, however, that while video games are not to blame when something happens since a video game is an inanimate object, some video games are extremely violent. While millions may play these games or listen to "violent music" without even considering acting out violently, there are some who are mentally ill to some extent who DO consider acting out violently and couldn't that be exacerbated by the playing of some video games?

I'm not blaming video games or music or anything else, but what I am saying is I would admit there is some truth to the argument that there is a gun culture in America, and Merc alluded to that in the comment about the "gun nut", couldn't the same be said about the violent culture we live in and is in some part enhanced by the games we play, the movies we watch, the music we listent to....

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I appreciate what you are saying CO, it is fair to say that if someone is mentally unbalanced and is exposed to these sorts of games, watches these sorts of movies and listen to this music it could change how they see things. I have been to college with people who have had mental problems including split personality disorders so have seen that it can have an impact.

What gets me though is the way people like the NRA, The Sun & The Daily Mail seem to think that these problems occur only because of these things in the media.

For example many years ago the film "Child's Play" was banned here in the UK because it was found that the killers of a small boy named Jamie Bulger had watched the film, never mind that the killing had no link to what happened, never mind that one of them had never even seen it The Daily Mail decided there was a link because it was a mass story and so the film got banned.

What I am trying to say and what I did say to begin with is people in the media seem to think all of these problems are ONLY to blame on these things, these groups ONLY look for the sensationalist element, why? Because it is interesting and it sells papers, blaming what occurred on mental issues and parental problems does not sell newspapers and also as I say, I do believe killings occurred before these things were invented.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What most killers have in common is mental illness. I'm not talking about the person that had to defend themselves. You can't keep everything away from them. We can outlaw all violent video games, books and movies and there would still be violent acts in their everyday life like bullying to set them off. We could pass so many laws to keep us safe from a few that we have no freedom at all.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I love the way that so many other countries... Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc all play just as many games as the US, all the same games too, but don't have nearly as many shootings because we actually have gun laws. Games don't make people violent. Having easy access to a whole array of deadly weapons does. It's almost embarrassing seeing the NRA try to cover their ass on this and blame everyone but themselves. Here's a funny article about it.

10 Things The NRA Blamed For The Sandy Hook Massacre

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I love the way that so many other countries... Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc all play just as many games as the US, all the same games too, but don't have nearly as many shootings because we actually have gun laws.
Comparing US gun laws with those countries is borderline ridiculous though. It's also a bit simple minded to say that gun laws are the sole reason in this debate. Aside from the mental health aspect, something the US is terrible at and doesn't seem to give two shits about, we're talking about VASTLY different cultures and that makes for a much different environment. Personally, I think our fascination with fame is also to blame but that could be a whole other thread in itself.

The hard truth is that harsher gun laws would not have saved Sandy Hook elementary. When someone blatantly disregards safety with their weapons as the mother did, they pay the price. Not saying those kids deserved anything, but the mother herself was asking for problems if she had a mentally unstable son with open access to her firearms. No laws would have stopped this (and before you say 'ban them' remember my comment about cultural differences).

Games don't make people violent. Having easy access to a whole array of deadly weapons does.
Simply put, how? Do you think people look at a gun and suddenly boil over in a violent rage? Because without any further explanation, that's what it sounds like you're suggesting.

People have access to knives, chainsaws, fire, chemicals, poisons, etc. Does that 'make' them violent somehow because of that access? Of course it doesn't.