Game Cube Gamecube reliability

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yooperchick, Dec 11, 2005.

1. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

If you've read my other posts, I've had some rough times with consoles. I'm just wondering how everyone's Gamecubes have held up. And, if you have any horror stories of the system being abused and surviving, I would welcome hearing those stories as well.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think the consensus is that Gamecube is the most reliable current gen console. I've had mine since launch and I haven't had any problems with it, except for an occasional dirty disc error while playing Metroid Prime, but MP is known for having those problems.

3. RossDude

RossDude Beep

It is definitely the most reliable of this generation. I saw a video where some stupid kids smashed the GC with a sledge hammer, then dragged it down a dirt road tied to the back of a truck. They got home and hooked it up...and proceeded to play Mario Sunshine. Also, I've had my GC since Christmas 2001, and it still works just fine.

4. LaRazaUnida

LaRazaUnida Registered Member

I have as well had mine since launch. Number two inline at the Walmart that night. My gamecube is very sturdy and very reliable. I actually have used my handle quite a bit to. I used the handle just this past Friday when I took it over to a party where we playd some Donkey Konga 2( this is a different party then the previous time I posted). My Gamecube has made trips to Mexico, Arkansas, Relatives, Friends, Hotels, Car rides hooked up to a tv screen and it has not failed me once.

However, one time the damn thing would not shut but that was only for a brief second

5. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

I am on my second gamecube... My Launch 'Cube lasted 3 years before takeing a dump on me....

now before you say I am saying its unreliable... It was used by me, but abused by my children (being left on while I wasnt home, dirty fingers on the laser, ect..)... It got alot of use before it just stopped reading games.

6. dk_rare

dk_rare Registered Member

I'm on my 3rd Cube, but I have never had trouble with any of them. The first I gave to my sister because I moved out of Australia. The second I gave to my ex, as I moved out of the UK. And my current one I am taking with me to America :p

The only problem I have ever had, was on my first one sometimes the reset button got stuck down. But that wasn't a real problem, didn't affect gameplay at all. I've also been through 2 playstations (both have had HUGE problems with crashing) and I'm on my 3rd Xbox (never a problem with the Box). I'm not rich, btw, I just move country a lot.

7. KannonMAK

KannonMAK Registered Member

where are you moving to DK?

8. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

That was the abuse I was really curious about. I have a feeling my son is part of my PS2's downfall. Even though we put it away when not using it, he'd get it out of hiding, plug it all up and start playing while I just went in the kitchen to make something to lunch.

Overall, it sounds like everyone has had good experiences with it.

9. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

i thought they did that to a Xbox.

i got my cube around the time Mario Kart came out. i take good care of my stuff and the only games i own for the cube are the RE series, Zelda series, Metroid Prime, and Tales of Symphonia [ didn't beat it ].

not too long ago i let my friend borrow my cube, and he takes good care of my stuff too. he was trying to start up RE4 but the disc wouldn't spin. if he unplugged the controller it would start to spin, put it back in it would stop. this lasted for a few hours and then magically disappeared.

i have an Xbox from launch [ didn't buy it at launch, but the manufacture date is from that time ], and i always read bad stuff about the disc drive that i have. that it fails a lot and gets DREs all the time. but i've never had a problem with my xbox at all.

10. RossDude

RossDude Beep

Nope, it was a GC those kids destroyed. There was another video however, where some people tested all three systems to see which could last the longest. They dropped them from heights and did a few other things, and in the end, the GC outlasted the PS2 and Xbox.