• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Game store swatted in prank

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
arstechnica said:
A New Jersey video game shop fell victim to a calculated "swatting" attempt on Saturday night—one that, according to reports, nearly saw the victim play an active role in inflaming the police response.
Game store swatted, nearly became complicit in inciting police response

One of these days someone is going to be killed by police over a stupid prank. Then I bet the prankster will be laughing when he has to spend 20 years or more behind bars. Its a wonder this didn't turn out different. I hope they catch whoever made this prank call.

Thoughts?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Its sickening that people would go to these lengths just to troll. Its hardly funny, and the perps dont' realize how dangerous it actually is. I hope they find the guy

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This seems to be a new fad that will not end well. They have caught a few people that did this and are prosecuting them. I hope they make an example out of them.

Stego

Registered Member
The punishment needs to fit the crime, and I'm not sure what that punishment is but it's not spending time in jail. Don't get me wrong, it needs to be a serious whooping to get it through to them, but the legal punishments need to make it so that directly reflects their crime of waste while still allowing them the chance to get an actual job later in life and not just be another inmate in an expanding prison system.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They should have to pay for the expense the swat team. Wouldn't hurt for them to spend a few days in jail either. Someone is going to end up dieing over this.