• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 Game Review Club: Super Mario 64

dDave

V.I.P.
Alright everyone. Get ready for this one!

If you wish to join us you should start this game relatively soon. As of right now, OlaMajor and I are playing through Super Mario 64. One of the most classic N64 titles. :)

Anyone is welcome to take part in this!

When we are done playing through the game we will each post a review of the game in full.

Ready. Set. Go!

(PS, I'm jumping into the Bomb omb battlefield painting right now)
------
Update: 15 stars in and I have all 3 caps. Not too bad for such a short session!

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I just got 52 stars in one sitting. I think I played for close to 3 hours. Not exactly going for a world record or anything, but I think that's pretty decent considering how long it's been since I've played much of this game. I have most of the stars from the first 7 levels. I'm kind of dreading the sand level.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm up to 97 stars. I'm really thankful to have Tiny-Huge Island out of the way. I've never liked that level. I'm working on Tall, Tall Mountain now, and then all I have left is the very top floor.

dDave

V.I.P.
I haven't finished Tiny Huge Island yet.

Here are the levels I have out of the way. (total of 77 stars or something.)

-Bomb'omb Battlefield
-Cool Cool Mountain
-Whomp's Fortress
-Big Boo's Haunt
-Lethal Lava Land
-Hazy Maze Cave
-Shifting Sand Land
-Dire Dire Docks
-Tick Tock Clock

Castle Secret Stars - 14

Levels I still have to play...
-Jolly Roger Bay
-Snowman's Land
-Tiny Huge Island
-Wet Dry World
-Tall Tall Mountain
-Rainbow Ride

I don't have trouble with Rainbow Ride like most people. Tick Tock Clock was always my Achilles Heel. I think everyone hates Tiny Huge Island :lol:.

Very comfortable so far in this playthrough.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I hate Jolly Roger Bay too. I usually get that one done early on.

I only have 12 of the Castle's Secret Stars. I know two others I need to get. I have no idea where the last one is. That could be a problem.

dDave

V.I.P.
I hate Jolly Roger Bay too. I usually get that one done early on.

I only have 12 of the Castle's Secret Stars. I know two others I need to get. I have no idea where the last one is. That could be a problem.
Did you catch the second rabbit in the basement? Also, don't forget that you get a star from toad on each floor you have to unlock.

And who said anything about my hating Jolly Roger Bay? I actually really like the level, I think it has the best music in the entire game (along with Dire Dire Docks).

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Did you catch the second rabbit in the basement? Also, don't forget that you get a star from toad on each floor you have to unlock.

And who said anything about my hating Jolly Roger Bay? I actually really like the level, I think it has the best music in the entire game (along with Dire Dire Docks).
Yeah, I have both of the ones from the rabbit. I swear I spent like 15 minutes chasing that stupid thing around the second time.

I realized the one I'm missing is the swimming one. Pretty sure I haven't done that one yet in this game.

I meant I hate Jolly Roger Bay in addition to whatever other ones I said I hate. Probably just Tiny-Huge Island. Most of the other levels are fine. Jolly Roger Bay isn't an awful level, but it has serious frame rate issues. And I'm also not sure what makes the eel come out of the ship.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah, I have both of the ones from the rabbit. I swear I spent like 15 minutes chasing that stupid thing around the second time.

I realized the one I'm missing is the swimming one. Pretty sure I haven't done that one yet in this game.

I meant I hate Jolly Roger Bay in addition to whatever other ones I said I hate. Probably just Tiny-Huge Island. Most of the other levels are fine. Jolly Roger Bay isn't an awful level, but it has serious frame rate issues. And I'm also not sure what makes the eel come out of the ship.
If you haven't caught the rabbit for the second time then he's still roaming the basement.

To get the eel to come out of the ship simply swim in front of him and swim all the way back to the surface. When you go back down, he'll be swimming around. It's worked for me every time I've ever done it.

I do notice some framerate issues with this game, not with any level in particular though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
No, I said I got the rabbit again. The one I was missing was the one where you swim around and collect 8 red coins, in the little alcove in the room where Jolly Roger Bay is. I don't know why I forget to get it when I was in there before.

I'll have to try that with the eel. Usually I just roam around the level until I see that he's swimming around and it can be frustrating waiting for him.

dDave

V.I.P.
Just finished up Rainbow Ride. Had a few close calls, but I never died. :)

I'm sitting at 113 stars. All I've got left for tomorrow is Tall Tall Mountain. I really like that level, this should be fun.

I've been working out exactly what I want to say about the game when I finish. I think there are several things that are definitely worth praising and others things that are just done incorrectly.