• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Game Programming for Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

myththth

Pls help me to know some programming languages or developer tools (not flash). I want to creat strategy games. Action games is second. Thanks..

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I wouldn't appreciate you being a troller.

For you to create real games you need some very high end software and a couple years of training. Most game programmers go to technical school, mostly due to the fact that making video games is an art.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
You can say that again. I am a programmer, but very limited in game programming. I have written one game using javascript, but it is still a work in progress.

Doc

V.I.P.
In three years (even maybe two), I've learned that even a general knowledge in HTML, C++, C#, J++, VB, and a general talent for programming will NOT help you to program games. Study, my friend. Education is the best way to becoem a skilled master in your craft. So, to program any kind of decent game you'd need to go to school

Sensor

But what if you are just wanting to do some simple stuff for you and your friends, or even your kids. Is it possible to learn what you need for that?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Of course it's possibly to learn what you need, but it will take patience and dedication. It's not easy and it's not going to work on your first try. If you like a challenge then go for it. :)

Doc

V.I.P.
The easiest thing to program for a beginner is a command line text based game.

maddengamer_66

Registered Member
i took VB last year as a freshman hoping to learn the basics of game programming, i found that was the most useless class ive taken, but thats probably because the teacher had no idea what the heck she was talkin about half the time....

Thermal

Registered Member
You need to learn a language (C#, VB, Java, C++), and go from there. Games tend to use a lot of month, especially if you're building a game engine on your own. I would definitely look into a game sdk your first time around, and don't expect to be making AAA games you first couple rounds. Any serious game will typically take a small army of designers and programmers to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 0
ysabel Movies & TV 2
dDave Video Games 10
Konshentz Video Games 1
Y Video Games 15