Game on the line

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
9th inning, game 7 of the World Series, tie game.
1.) Who do you want pitching and why?
2.) Who o you want at the plate and why?

My pitcher would be Mariano Riviera, because he has proven to be a dominat pitcher in the playoffs, and I would not be worried with the ball in his hands.

My hitter would be Derek Jeter, he has a lot of playoff experience, and I dont believe that we would need a power hitter in this situation. He would give me a lot of chances to win the game, and hes been known to be clutch in the past.

It as to be an active player.

L

Luther Vandross

My pitcher would be.... Brandon Webb BECAUSE he is a guy I PERSONALLY could rely on at the end of a game and he is one of my favorite players in baseball.

I would want Luis Gonzalez at the plate BECAUSE we all know what he did in 01 so we all know he can make some big hits late in games.

Also, its not the 1st time he has hit game winners...

SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE MR. JORDAN...LOL

B

blenderboy55

I'd want Mariano Rivera on the mound. He may be a HOF closer, but his stats in the postseason are even better.

At the plate: Jeter or Ortiz. If there's no one on base, I want Jeter, 'cause he rarely K's and has a great OBP.

IMO, if there is no one on base, you have to choose a guy with a high average and/or OBP. Many sluggers K a lot, so that's a bad choice.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I'd want Rivera on the mount because he handles the late game pressure well and he can strike out a guy really fast.

At the plate I would like Vernon Wells because I think he is very underrated and a lot of pitchers would take him lighly and then he strikes it out of the park.

TDG1987

Registered Member
My pitcher would be John Smoltz because he's a proven postseason pitcher (I believe he has the highest or at least one of the highest playoff win percentages) plus he can either start or close.

My hitter would be David Ortiz, because once again, he's a proven commodity. All of his clutch hits aren't home runs either. He can hit a simple single or a double to win a game. He's also valuable because he can get on base by walking because pitchers pitch around him. Then you can put a pinch runner in his place.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Luther how can you put Brandon Webb when he's hardly been in those kind of situations during is young career as your pitcher? Luis Gonzalez did well in the 2001 World Series but he shouldn't even be a top 100 choice. I think your being bias towards your home team.

Andrew you might be able to put Vernon in this category when he gets to the playoffs, but now now because he's never been there yet.

TGD1987 great choice putting John Smoltz on this list. Is name never came up in my mind.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Luther how can you put Brandon Webb when he's hardly been in those kind of situations during is young career as your pitcher? Luis Gonzalez did well in the 2001 World Series but he shouldn't even be a top 100 choice. I think your being bias towards your home team.

Andrew you might be able to put Vernon in this category when he gets to the playoffs, but now now because he's never been there yet.

TGD1987 great choice putting John Smoltz on this list. Is name never came up in my mind.
Haha, come on Vince, you're so biased towards your home team it's incredible. Hell, we all are.

Pitching: I'd want either Rivera or Curt Schilling. Rivera because he's got a ticket to the hall of fame and the numbers to back it up. I picked Schilling because even though he isn't a closer, he's the kind of guy who eats pressure for breakfast and would prove a dangerous end of game player.

Hitting: Obviously I want to say Ortiz because I'm a Sox fan and have seen what he can do with runners on or not. If I wanted a hit, then I'd go with guys like Jeter or Ichiro. If I wanted to win, I'd go with Ortiz.

F

Forbidden v2

Mound: Rivera, easily. He's an amazing playoff pitcher and really just dominates all the time as a closer.

Hitting: Ortiz. He was extremely clutch last year, he had an incredible amount of walk offs to win games for the Red Sox last season.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
With Ortiz I think all he does is really either hit a home run or get out. He don't do a lot in the way of base hits. Well now and then he does. Or maybe I could be wrong because on sportsshows here in Canada we mostly mention the players who hit homeruns. Rivera I think would be a great choice because of his experience and his skill on the mount. There are few pitchers better in key situations than him and its that kind of skill that really sets him aside in my mind as a great choice.

B

blenderboy55

With Ortiz I think all he does is really either hit a home run or get out. He don't do a lot in the way of base hits. Well now and then he does. Or maybe I could be wrong because on sportsshows here in Canada we mostly mention the players who hit homeruns. Rivera I think would be a great choice because of his experience and his skill on the mount. There are few pitchers better in key situations than him and its that kind of skill that really sets him aside in my mind as a great choice.
Usually not. Though I dislike him for it, Ortiz still hits well. The shift does take things away, but not as badly as you'd think. If worst comes to worst, he can still put down a bunt down the 3rd base line.