• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Game of Thrones

Impact

V.I.P.
Game of Thrones is an upcoming American medieval fantasy television series created by David Benioff and Dan Weiss for HBO. The series, based on author George R. R. Martin's best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels, chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among noble families for control of the Iron Throne of Westeros. The series will debut on April 17, 2011.[4][5] In the UK, the series will debut on Sky Atlantic on April 18, 2011.
Just saw an ad for this, and it looks pretty good. I'll definitely be checking out the first episode. It's got the dude who played Boromir in LOTR in it. Any one else heard of this, or going to watch it when it airs?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I've heard of it and really excited. I absolutely love anything to do with fantasy, especially medieval fantasy! I'll be watching this for sure.

Impact

V.I.P.
Awesome, another GFer I can discuss this with. I really hope it's as good as it looks. I've been seeing it advertised for about a month now, and it just looks amazing. Roll on April 18th. I'm guessing you'll be downloading it right? Can't imagine Aussie getting it straight away

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I'll be downloading it. I haven't seen any trailers or anything yet but I have seen a bunch of stills. I basically melt for anything set in medieval times that involves that old-style archery. I saw some archery in the preview images and bam! I'll be downloading it from episode one.

Impact

V.I.P.
First episode airs here tonight. You downloading it Crouton? Apparently on of my housemates friends has already seen it and it's really good, and the only thing wrong with it was he had to wait an entire week to see the next one. So hopefully it's as good as he says.
------
Just as amazing as it looked in the ads and as everyone has said. I can't wait for the next episode.

The ending; I really hope that the kid is okay from when the queens brother pushed him out the tower. More than anything I hope he didn't land on his wolf. How freaking cute are they? Also, the incest storyline is fucked up.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I should be able to download it today. I'm trying not to download much until the next episode of Glee comes out because I don't want to go over my limit, but I think I should be fine for an episode of this. I'll get back to you if I download and watch it today.
------
Okay so I just finished the episode. I really enjoyed it, visually it is stunning, the level of detail in each of the different lands is great.

The boy and his wolf were cute, I really hope he didn't land on him as well.
So was that the Queen having sex with her brother? I seriously had trouble following who was who and who was related to who. Either way I'm just happy to see Lena Heady on TV again.
I also loved that girl who was married off to that savage ponytail guy. She was seriously stunning. I felt so sorry for her the whole time though.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, that was the queen having sex with her brother. Apparently incest was big in those days, because the girl that married the savage dude got felt up by her brother earlier on. I think I got who all the characters are. The main dude (Sean Bean) has 6 kids, one with his wife and one bastard. Their eldest girl is set to marry the prince. The prince is the son of the king and queen, although I think later on it may come out he is the son of the queen and her brother because he looks more like the brother than the king. The queen and her brother are twins, I think and the midget dude (There's even a freaking midget!!) is their brother too. Not sure how the other brother and sister factor into it all. I think the bastard child is gonna go on to become the coolest character, he's my favourite so far anyway.

Also, do we really need spoilers if it's just us discussing it? Or do you wanna keep them in case one of us posts before the other one.

Super short season too, only 10 episodes :(

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I suppose we can ditch spoilers. We will probably both watch the episodes every week around the same time as each other, with a day between give or take so it should be fine.

Thanks for that little explanation, it's coming more clear now. Makes me want to read the novels the series is based on.

So is it fantasy? I thought it might be just straight medieval at the start but the weird demon people things in the snow and the mention of dragon eggs suggest fantasy. I hope they increase the fantasy element more in future episodes.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, I thought it was just a straight up medieval style story but those weird demon people threw me. The dragons eggs I could have let slip, as they probably believed a whole bunch of weird stuff back then, so yeah, i'm going with it being fantasy. I haven't read the books so I have no idea what it's meant to be. I can't wait til they explain those weird demon people either...the rest of the episode skipped over anything further with them.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I forgot what they called them but it was a nice element, and it made the opening scene really memorable.

I really hope some of the women get a chance to kick but in this show. It hasn't exactly been female friendly so far, with every female character being either naked, raped, involved in some sort of incest etc. I'll let that slip in the first episode though because I just have a feeling that it may lead to some sort of awesome plot of girls kicking ass at some stage. It also sets up a society which is very oppressive towards women, and watching females kick butt in situations like this is always awesome.

I mainly just want that blonde-haired beautiful girl who was married off to that savage guy to get some revenge. When her brother said that thing about letting a whole army of 40,000 men and their horses have sex with her if need be I seriously wanted to punch him.