Xbox 360 Game installs use too much space

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nevyrmoore, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Am I the only one who has noticed this? I just recently installed LEGO Indy onto the hard drive to give it a try. I had around 11 - 12 GB of space before install. Now I have around 7 - 8 GB.

This isn't a problem if you have an Xbox Elite, which came bundled with a 120 GB drive. But if you have just the 20 GB drive, if you install more than 1 game to the drive, that space is going to be gone faster than you can say "What the shit taco just happened man?!".

"Then stop whining and go buy a 120 gig drive!", I hear you saying. But they generally cost a fortune. Best I can get it at is around £80 - £90, yet I can get a 160 GB HDD for a PC at around £20 - £30.

What, were they expecting people to go rushing out to buy new drives? Fuck that shit...

*EDIT* Apparently, I can cheat by modifying a 120GB Western Digital Scorpio. A tricky hack, but I'd rather do that and risk fucking up both drives than fork out almost £100 for a 120 GB drive...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I think that's part of their marketing plan.

They should have done it like the PS3 did. Normal PC hard drives can be used in a PS3. No need to buy a special one made by Sony.

So in theory you could go buy a nice terabyte drive for $300 and have yourself some massive storage on your PS3.

3. Nevyrmoore

That would have been much better for the Xbox. Shame they've gone the money grubbing bastard route.

But, as mentioned in my post edit, a hack exists to connect a 120GB Western Digital Scorpio to a 360. Now, if the same hack can be made to work with larger drives, then we're in business.

4. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

why store it in the hard drive if you have the disc? just run the disc and use the hard drive to save your gameplay.

also, the elite says 120gb but with the software to make it run it really starts with 105gb, just got it for xmas.

5. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

It is usually to shut up that extremely noisy "made in china" dvd drive. When your playing a game it can really be distracting, especially if the game relies on immersion.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

understandable. i just say if you got the disc, use it. the 360 we got is pretty quite and its been getting massive use the past few days.

7. Nevyrmoore

The point of it is to reduce the number of times the disk has to be read from by keeping a number of files on the drive. As reading from the HDD tends to be faster than reading from a CD/DVD, loading times are also reduced. Furthermore, to my understanding this also increases the life of the disk (a reason why people prefer to use disk images for PC software instead of the CD).