• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Galchenyuk at Wing or at Center, we need to know

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
Montreal is officially a seller. After trading Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann, it looks like the end is near. So it's time to retool. To retool, you need to know what you have and what you need, biggest question, What is Alex Galchenyuk? Winger or Center? It doesn't matter, the point is we need a decision before the draft. With Centers like Matthews and McLeod along with great wingers like Laine, Puljujarvi and Tkachuck, we need to know what position to draft for at the end of the year. Make up your minds, 2016-2017 inches closer every minute.

Thoughts?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Personally, I'd like the Habs to commit to Galchenyuk as a center but I'm convinced that Michel Therrien has no intention whatsoever to use him as a center. Given the very slim chance (slim-to-none should I say) that they make the playoffs, I don't think this team has anything left to lose. Just let Galcheynuk play at center for the rest of the year, especially if somehow you're able to get somewhat of a good winger before the trade deadline on Monday (although with Bergevin, other than 1 or 2 trades overall, he's only been able to get 3rd or 4th liners so...)

Truth be told, I'm not expecting this team to do anything else noteworthy until 3 PM on Monday.

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Put him at centre. It's a fairly easy decision. When it's hard to find young quality centers in this modern era, making Galcheynuk, whose proven to be capable at centre, a winger is waste. He's got good size for that position, and plays the game right. If he finds a way to be more consistent, he will be a solid player

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Agreed. It makes no sense to leave him at the wing position. It’s clear that he’s better suited there – it’s his natural position. Yes, he may have more defensive lapses playing centre, but that comes with time. One of Therrien’ biggest mistakes was removing him from centre and putting him back on the wing.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
They never really road tested him. He has a better goal for rating on wing but all offensive numbers are better at centre. They put him at centre last night. I predicted a hat trick. Galchenyuk scored 2. Scheifle had the hat trick. D'oh!

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
Galchenyuk is missing a power forward on his right, Love gally, but he's a 2nd line winger, a good one. give him Dubois, Tkachuk, any finn or Gauthier and im sure that line will thrive

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Galchenyuk.
Pacioretty.
Gallagher.
Plekanec.

That's maybe the only top six players currently on the team. You can debate if Plekanec or Eller should be top six and you'd be right. They are both fringe top six. McCarron, Hudon, Carr, Scherbak, Reway - these guys can be fighting for top six in 1-3 years. I see McCarron as 2-3rd line centre next year.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm really excited for Scherbak. I think the kid is going to be really exciting and he's going to be a stud in the NHL.

Thinking he's about two years away. No need to rush the kid. Let him get his experience in the minors first.

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
Scherbak seems to be comfortable in the minors, playing good hockey lately. I'm also excited