• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gaddafi to keep power?

shelgarr

Registered Member
It looks like the rebels are losing. Slowly government forces re-take cities formerly held by rebels. These are brave men that tried to take Gaddafi out of power. So I wonder what the repercussions will be. Will rebels be tracked down and executed? Will Gaddafi beef up his military and be puinitive toward his people? I certainly don't think he'll look at this as a opportunity to compromise his rule.

Libya unrest: Tripoli turns the tide | World news | guardian.co.uk

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
And G8 leaders are taking time to come up with consensus on how to assist. At least the the no-fly zone was made. Meantime Gaddafi threatens to align with al-Qaida and declare a holy war if the West intervenes. And some are spinning the intervention as simply after Libyan oil.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
It probably is about oil on one half. Think about it, NK openly bombed SK and no one batted an eyelash; but when shit kicks off around oil we're all about going in guns blazing.

When did they get a no fly? I thought Cameron was still losing that one?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Oh I meant the Arab League. I'll read more about the scope of this group because I wonder why they needed UN backing for something they've decided for their territories.

shelgarr

Registered Member
The rebels were able to shoot down a couple government planes. Some UN nations, including the Arab League, are calling for a meeting to enact a no-fly zone. Now that the US has chimed in, it could go as far as conducting air strikes against Gaddafi forces, strongholds, military installations, and HQ.

Zenheizer

needs practice
It is interesting to see how the media had called them rebels and some of them are being called "insurgents" now. From what I'm hearing, Gaddafi will resume power eventually, and spectating nations will have to come to him for their oils needs. And his ass can charge whatever price he wants!

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Oh yeah, America chimes in and they're all ears :rolleyes:

It's alright pushing for a no fly zone, but who's going to go in and enforce it? Somehow i don't see France or Russia electing themselves to do it; it will probably be the US and Britain: The Police Force of the World.

This is cruel of me to say, but leave them too it. Finish the war you've started before leaping into another; we've got limit resources as it is and we're still making cuts - don't stretch the brave men and women any more.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Video: Libya - Rebels Claim To Drive Back Pro-Gaddafi Forces Around Eastern Town Of Ajdabiyah | World News | Sky News

Gaddafi tells Benghazi residence he is coming in to wipe out everyone that opposes him. I don't understand why the world stands by why this monster slaughters his own people.
He's a dictator of sorts. Dictators will do whatever they can to eliminate their opposition, whether large or small. Gaddafi right now is reminding me too much of Saddam at his prime.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Lots of developments today. UN were unanimous for the no-fly zone. It will be enforced by ships. Gaddafi has agree to cease fire. Now there will be negotiations for democracy. US talks of forcing Gaddafi out of Libya. Do you think that has long as he doesn't continue to slaughter or is not punitive or is supported by the majority, that the world should stay out of it?