Future of magazines and newspapers?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Mirage, May 8, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think magazines and newspapers can last much longer in today's digital age? I doubt it. I think we'll start to see the internet taking over the news and magazine markets upwards of 100%.

I have to admit it's nice to be able to take a newspaper or magazine anywhere you want and read it but with technology expanding doesn't it make sense that things like laptops will become even more convenient to take anywhere you want? Not to mention TV. TV's are so cheap nowadays and everybody has been able to afford one for several decades now.

I'd rather watch TV than read a newspaper or magazine. I do like the convenience of both however and personally would not want to see them gone. I do think that they are on their way out (eventually) though.

Thoughts?

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

No way would written records be completely discarded for digital. Digital is important but remember not everyone has the internet. Not everyone has a TV and written records are the best sources of information.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't have any magazine subscriptions anymore and I rarely read newspapers. You can find most of that stuff on the internet.

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Long articles are annoying to read on a computer screen. Even though I read a number of online publications every day, I much prefer print magazines. Plus, I'm far less willing to pay for an online publication than a printed one. So I really doubt magazines are going anywhere. Newspapers have an uphill battle cutout for them, though, by my reckoning. Those with quality writing and journalism will probably stick around and do well, but those that don't and don't get on the ball soon are doomed.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'm not sure about magazines because there are so many types out there. But newspapers, as a source of information, are getting to be a less appealing option compared to internet (where you can easily access several versions of the news, decreasing bias; pictures, videos about it). Anything particular interests you, you just print the desired article for archiving (or save the link).

6. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think in 20-30 years that Magazines nor Newspapers will be printed out, they'll probably be on some new technology item.

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Same. Just yesterday I picked up a copy of Scientific American Mind. The internet just can't match a magazine in my opinion.

8. amjhdrummer

amjhdrummer It fell off.

I think that although not everyone has internet right now; it'll soon be to the point where you NEED it to survive. (within 50 yrs)

Along with cars and such (w/ the exception of the Amish:p)

Although with magazines and newspapers you can skip the ads, whereas with TV you have to deal with the commercials or flip the channel (unless you've paid to take them out)

All depends on what you perfer; what you don't. I personally hate watching TV.

9. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I don't see paper versions going anywhere. It's always better to hold a hard copy of something in your hands, rather than a soft copy.

As for viewing the news on laptops when out of the house, they'd need to create city and nation wide WiFi networks for that to become a reality, and I can imaging that being quite some way off. Until then, good luck using the Internet on the bus without a phone router.

10. 6footninja

6footninja Registered Member

Magazines etc. will still be ftw.

Just too much against going digital nationwide with that kind of thing.