Future Government

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Vidic15, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I am Marking my 800th Post by Posting A thread in MD.

Our current government models are based on centuries-old theories and economic principles, built around a largely agrarian civil model. While democratic institutions are subject to change, the underlaying principles of operation remain steadfast to the undercurrent of traditional government.

Todays governments are slow to change, slow to respond, ineffecient, corrupt, and often out-of-touch with its constituents. To some degree, this is to be expected, as governments should never act solely upon majority opinion or passing hysteria.

Capitolism, as predicted by Adam Smith (Wealth of Nations) tends to move money to where money already exists, as in 'rich get richer and poor get poorer'. Obviously, when you graph this tendancy out over time, you end up with the majority of people with little or nothing.

This, has history has shown time and again, is a recipie for civil strife at best, civil war at worst.

Have you any thoughts as to a future form of government and its civil models that may or may not be derived from the current forms?​

2. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

Democracy is the incarnate Argumentum ad Populum.

3. scitsofreaky

scitsofreaky Registered Member

Indeed. Tyranny of the majority is upon us. But I'm not sure how else a large group can ever make a decision.
    A big issue I'm having with a representative gov't is that unless you happened to vote for the senator/representative/president that won, your voice isn't really heard at all. Even if you have, we seem to be at the mercy of the politicians' votes. The only accountability would be his/her sense of responsibility (not something that we seem to count on these days) and/or the threat of not being re-elected and/or making the party look bad. It would be nice if there was some way for a direct democracy to be realistic. (Hmm, perhaps fiber-optic internet would be useful.) But that doesn't solve the problem of the argumentum ad populum.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.