• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Future and Proposed Rule Changes

BigBob

Registered Member
The Illegal Hits are the for-sure rule changes, the Kickoff and Replay changes are going to be proposed at the next meeting.

ILLEGAL HITS
NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories:

• QB in act of throwing
• Receiver trying to catch pass
• Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
• Player fielding punt or kickoff
• Kicker or punter during kick
• QB after change of possession
• Receiver who receives blind-side block
• Player already on ground

KICKOFF CHANGES
• Competition committee will propose moving kickoff to 35-yard line, and bringing touchback out to 25. No changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with ball coming out to 20.
• No player other than kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind ball.
• Outlawing wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.
REPLAY CHANGES
• Committee will propose making all scoring plays reviewable. Replay official would order replays on any touchdowns, field goals, safeties and extra points without the coaches needing to challenge. Similar to current system for final two minutes of each half and overtime.
• Eliminating third coach's challenge if he is successful on first two.
I think the Illegal Hits are ridiculous. To be honest, that might be enough to push my away from the NFL. You can't hit a quarterback who is making a throwing motion? So.. if a quarterback sits in the pocket and pump-fakes the entire time, let him go.. you can't touch him.

Thoughts on the changes?

Zenheizer

needs practice
I'm deeply saddened. Football will never be physical again if this is how it's going to be played. Pretty soon it will be two hand touch.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
They are going to make the NFL a non-contact sport before it's all said and done...

Might as well add flag football rules and make it two hand touch.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Teams will now kick off from the 35 instead of the 30.

I hate this rule change, it makes no sense. This will result in more teams instructing their kickers to go for high, booming, long hang time, punt type kickoffs which drop down inside the 10 with the returner getting bulldozed by the coverage team which will lead to:

-Bad field position
-Higher chances of fumbles
-Higher chance of injury.

BigBob

Registered Member

I hate this rule change, it makes no sense. This will result in more teams instructing their kickers to go for high, booming, long hang time, punt type kickoffs which drop down inside the 10 with the returner getting bulldozed by the coverage team which will lead to:

-Bad field position
In my opinion, teams are more likely to kick it through the back of the end zone so they don't have to risk a player like Hester returning the kick for a touchdown. Like Lovie Smith said, it's just going to make teams pick up strong legged kickers so they don't have to worry about someone like Hester returning anymore.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's definitely another possibility, Bob. I don't know about the majority of the people here, but I believe that kickoff returns for long yardage or a touchdown is one of the most exciting plays in Football. With this new rule, we'll see less return TD's from guys like Hester and Cribbs.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's really dumb. They're changing the sport way too much.

College kickoffs used to be from the 35 and most kickers could bomb them to the back of the endzone. NFL kickers should be able to do the same. Moving the touchback from the 20 to the 25 isn't going to make teams not want to kick touchbacks. Basically there will be no returns.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
They are going to make the NFL a non-contact sport before it's all said and done...

Might as well add flag football rules and make it two hand touch.

-Bad field position
What they said...I'm especially mad about the increase in suspensions from tackles. It's just ridiculous.

I'm not sure about the whole "review possible after any points are scored" thing. I feel like it's just too much; it could be a big help for controversial calls and I'm sure I'd love it if it helped The Rams in a play, but I'm the same way with this as I am with MLB...too much video review takes away from the classic essence of the game, IMO.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is there statistical evidence that proves there are more injuries on kickoffs then on other plays on the field? I mean, that's one of the huge reasons they are changing this. More touchbacks = less injuries.

It also means less exciting plays...