• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fused Glass Art

califbob

Registered Member
Is anyone here experienced in producing Fused Glass Art?

I have a kiln and access to various types of colored and textured glass, but I have not really explored this method yet.

Does anyone here have any experience with it?

Thanks,

Calif.Bob

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is this along the lines of a stained glass window type of art or are we talking a glass sculpture or model made up of various pieces of glass such as small decorative furniture items etc?

dDave

V.I.P.
No I don't but it does sound cool. Glass has to be heated up past 300 degrees Fahrenheit just to melt and fusing it together with other pieces of glass does sound cool. I wish that I knew how to do this. What is it used for? Or is is just a fun thing to do in your spare time?

califbob

Registered Member
I've made one piece so far - from scratch - and have also melted down a bunch of beer, wine and whiskey bottles.

The wine bottles come out looking very flat. After they cool down, you can paint them with a silver or gold type of paint and then bake them again. When they are done, the bottle can then be used as a personalized cheese platter - perfect for cutting your favorite cheeses on while you sip on another bottle of your favorite vino.

Champagne bottles tend to work better for this because they have a wider base and flatten better.

The piece I made from scratch is a candy dish modeled after a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. At least it looked like the GGB before it was fused. Now it's just a multi-colored candy dish. Oh well.