Fur Coats

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

Would you ever wear a fur coat? I doubt many of the guys on the forums would, but do you think the principal of it is right?

I mean, why would you just kill an animal just so you could wear it. Today we definitely don’t need this. We have a whole friggin' array of things that we can use to keep us warm and looking good. If fur coats were an actually necessity then yes, I would think they are necessary because we would need them to survive, like cavemen living back millions of years ago who didn't have a reversible windbreaker fleece jacket.

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, if you need to legitimately kill the animal, than it would be best to use as many parts of it as possible, so in cases such as that it's okay.

But to kill simply for the coat is wasteful, and should not be practiced, especially if you live in a climate that doesn't require it. Capitalism be damned, I refuse to let animals to be slaughtered just for a fashion trend.

3. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

It's completely unnecessary... people don't wear them because they're warm or soft or anything like that, they wear them as a sign of status and importance. Wearing a fur coat shows a certain attitude and usually at least a certain minimum of money, and the wearer knows it. It's basically just a way for them to show off how well off they are.

I think this is wrong... an animal should not be killed for the sole purpose of some rich person getting the satisfaction of thinking s/he's better than everyone else.

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I'm sure technology these days could just replicate a fur coat -_-

If humans were still as primitive, then I'm sure the animal meat and bones would be put to use, but not anymore. If you kill an animal just for it's fur, then you should be forced to eat it's flesh and use it's bones as spoons too.

5. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

It is a sign of status but u also gotta look at people buying huge SUVs or hummers that burn our gas and put out more fumes also in the same manner. Basically people will still buy them.

Same as fur however it is clothing. I mean i really dont see much argument against the killing of animals for clothing, Even if it is a sign of status it still has a purpose.

I mean we eat and kill animals and we order expensive dishes at restaurants. Hell we will even eat half a big mac and chuck the other half. My point I dont see it as any more "inhumane" than us killing animal for foods we dont need either. We could survive off vegetables beans and other sources of food. But we will order the big steak at a fancy restuarant and eat 2/3 of it. We will sell veal in the grocery store, we still raise animals to slaughter for food that has little to no nutritional value (fast food joints)

So i think Unless you guys are all vegetarian/vegan (and if you guys are thats great) i dont think a good argument can be comprised for fur to be the equivalent of murder.

Do I persoanlly think its wrong. Eh not really killing an animal for clothing (even just status cloths) still has its purpose. Although alternative methods are available (synthetic furs and stuff) but its the same thing with food. I mean im not an anti-environment person I just think that as long as it serves a purpose (no matter how superficial maybe) it still is just in my mind.

6. Would I like people to wear fur? Not really...but in a country that eats millions of animals each year you need to put in perspective and people that dump ink on fur need to get lives.

7. Regardless if we did not eat millions of animals, millions of animals are still killed when you farm each year. This is just incase some vegetarian person comes in and says something.

8. Nosferatu_Alucard

Did you ever realize that we need to eat animals? We kill animals so we can use parts of their body we need. We need to eat, not to wear fur.

9. I know...i'm just saying...we kill millions of animals for food and yet you have animals rights hippies going nuts attacking models for wearing a little bit of fur with ink...I realize nobody is wearing cow skins...haha...but when we kill millions of animals what's the big deal, put it in perspective. Do people eat mink? :)

10. Nosferatu_Alucard

I understand where you are coming from. Also, I under stand where the psychotic paint throwing hippies are coming from. They are already pissed off that we kill animals to eat them, but they are not pissed off because we have another reason to kill animals, their fur.