Funny Smoking Law

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
This is from Amsterdam a.k.a Amsterdamage:

It's a bit like banning the drinking of alcoholic beverages, but allowing the consumption of spirits and ales, so long as 'they' see you open the bottle.

At any rate, they are that monged in some of these Cafe's, they'll be non-the-wiser.

YouTube - Cheech & Chong mexican americans

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I guess it isn't actually as silly as it seems, as weed smoke is no where near as toxic as tobacco smoke.

No, it's only a major factor in schizophrenia and other mental disorders in people that start from an early age [before full brain development.]

Also:
Marijuana - InfoFacts - NIDA
Effects on the Lungs
Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50–70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;8 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.9 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.10 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.
So one can argue, one's better off with tobacco. In my eyes, it's the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
:rolleyes: I'm not getting into this argument. Pretty sure there are a million threads already arguing about this :)

Lol. Fair enough, but [care]bear in mind that it's not an argument. I just find the Amsterdam law to be bizarre and contradictory regardless of my past present or future views of cannabis.
I don't really know much about the European Courts, but I can see this coming back one day and biting them on the arse. Cannabis and Sex and Amsterdam's main draws into the nation. [Pardon the pun.]
It'll be back to 'Clogs and Tulips' in no time.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Yeah they'd just after bringing in that law when i went to amsterdam for the first time.

Most cafes still have separate closed off smoking rooms or maybe a covered porch where you can smoke out the front of the building. Even if you don't want to smoke blunts anyway you can still hit bongs, pipes etc. indoors so it doesn't really make a huge difference. They also have a herbal tobacco substitute in most cafes that you can use for free and is legal to smoke indoors, but it's AWFUL. One of the worst tasting things i've ever smoked.

They've brought in the law really well i have to say. When we heard they'd just brought in a smoking ban before we went over there we were thinking it sounded like a pain in the ass, having to go outside to smoke, but we didn't even notice the smoking ban in the end. Didn't bother us at all.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Yeah they'd just after bringing in that law when i went to amsterdam for the first time.

Most cafes still have separate closed off smoking rooms or maybe a covered porch where you can smoke out the front of the building. Even if you don't want to smoke blunts anyway you can still hit bongs, pipes etc. indoors so it doesn't really make a huge difference. They also have a herbal tobacco substitute in most cafes that you can use for free and is legal to smoke indoors, but it's AWFUL. One of the worst tasting things i've ever smoked.

They've brought in the law really well i have to say. When we heard they'd just brought in a smoking ban before we went over there we were thinking it sounded like a pain in the ass, having to go outside to smoke, but we didn't even notice the smoking ban in the end. Didn't bother us at all.
That herbal stuff IS awful. Have you ever inspected it? Some people use tree/shrub bark. Some people use moss, and even that green stuff that grows on stones etc... in short, they'll bag anything off the ground and sell it as 'herbal.
One of the first ones I tried, I think it took a layer of flesh off my oesophagus. lol.

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
I also agree that herbal cigarettes are terrible god awful things, but so are firesafe cigarettes.

Seems odd to me I always thought smoking weed and smoking cigarettes went hand in hand. When I used to smoke I always ended it with a real cigarette, seemed to boost the high (but really I was baked so who the hell knows).

Seems like 2nd hand smoke would be 2nd hand smoke and the point its cannabis vs tobacco wouldn't be the big breaker.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Maybe there's more documented study of second hand cigarette smoking being dangerous than second hand weed smoking.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
In a finding that challenges the increasingly popular belief that smoking marijuana is less harmful to health than smoking tobacco, researchers in Canada are reporting that smoking marijuana, like smoking tobacco, has toxic effects on cells.

[...]

Marijuana smoke caused significantly more damage to cells and DNA than tobacco smoke, the researchers note. However, tobacco smoke caused chromosome damage while marijuana did not.
-source

It looks like the research done on the subject suggests the smoke is equally harmful.