• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Funimation Negotiating to Acquire Geneon Titles

Vegito728

Registered Member
"Navarre Corporation CEO Cary Deacon reported during his company's Q3 2008 earnings conference call on Thursday that its Funimation anime distribution subsidiary was "in very early stages of negotiations to acquire some of the Geneon library of titles." He also noted that Geneon and A.D. Visions used funds from Japanese investors to raise their bids for recent anime licenses. Now that Geneon is no longer distributing in North America, there is a "downward pressure on pricing" in new anime licenses. The Geneon's anime market share stood at about 10%."

"Deacon announced in a Wednesday report of Navarre's financial results for the third quarter that "Funimation had a solid quarter" that met profit expectations. Funimation is part of Navarre's publishing segment with Encore and BCI. That segment's Q3 sales were US$31.4 million, which is down from last year's Q3 sales of US$35.0 million."

"Navarre cited BCI's "poor performance" for the downturn. (Navarre does not report Funimation's [FONT=DejaVu Sans, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][FONT=DejaVu Sans, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]financial [/FONT][/FONT]figures separately from BCI and Encore.) Funimation did benefit from its renewed videogame rights agreement with Atari. Atari's US$10 million prepaid royalty advance to Funimation in 2004 was earned out, which means that Funimation will receive additional revenue in future quarters." Source: ANN

Malificus

Likes snow
cool. Hope things get better from here.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
This is big news. I am glad Funimation is considering to buy the Geneon licenses. Black Lagoon the Second Barrage here we come!

Vegito728

Registered Member
Yeah, this is BIG news. I was really excited when I saw this on ANN because there hasn't been any news at all on this(that I can remember). Funimation will probably change VAs for Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage and other Geneon titles. I just hope they don't screw them up.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Yeah, this is BIG news. I was really excited when I saw this on ANN because there hasn't been any news at all on this(that I can remember). Funimation will probably change VAs for Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage and other Geneon titles. I just hope they don't screw them up.
Actually I read some where on ANN either from "the answer man" or a news posting that the voice actors had already recorded the second barrage. It's a matter of negotiating with the studio for the dub.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Well then that's great news. I didn't know they already had recorded for the 2nd Barrage.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Well then that's great news. I didn't know they already had recorded for the 2nd Barrage.
Well Geneon had liscensed both and they recorded the dubs to both the series I believe.

As long as Funimation buys the dub we will have the same voices.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
Best news i've heard in a while. Im with you Swift cant wait to see if the Black Lagoon company return to the small screen.

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
Cool. Never seen the geneon series before tho except like 1-2 eps.. >_>