• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Full time Part time, Quit or Stay.

SammyMay

Registered Member
It seems I have gotten myself into quite the dilemma. Or rather, I just have no idea on what to do... There are too many choices for me. And I have been up and down, backwards and forwards about the best possible outcome over, and over, and OVER.

A little about my situation..

Im 20 years old, and coming to the realization that I am not comfortable in my job anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. Truly I do. However, everyone I work with has been with the company and the same people for over 5 years. Some of them are family to others ( my dad works there also ) etc. Its not a question of do I like working with my dad, because I have no argument against any of that part of the situation. Im just starting to feel as if I am a little up and beyond this company. No, I do not know everything, and yes I have a lot to learn. But lately I am finding that everyone working there has some kind of feud with someone else in the shop. I do not think that this is professional, and the management buys into it as well.

Its time to get out before I end up burning bridges. And lately I am coming to terms with maybe the idea of going to further my education ( what could go wrong there right ? )

I need help to make the decision. Full time school program, and part time work. OR Part time school program, full time work??

I suppose its arguable both ways for the better. But I was hoping to speak to someone from both sides of the decision to know better of what I'm getting myself into with either decision.

Thanks for your time and help

ATARIGUY

Beermister
My advice would be Full time school program, and part time work because you will be able to see less of the feuds and maybe be more comfortable at work.

SammyMay

Registered Member
Thanks for the input.

However, I was wondering, do I stay at the company I am currently with, or find something more suitable for part time work.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think a lot of it depends on your current financial situation. I'd also suggest that you look for a new job before you quit the one you're at (unless you have a lot of money saved up and can afford to be unemployed).

SammyMay

Registered Member
I think a lot of it depends on your current financial situation. I'd also suggest that you look for a new job before you quit the one you're at (unless you have a lot of money saved up and can afford to be unemployed).
Agreeing with Wade on this one.

I would never think of quitting a job without a new one lined up for certain.
Even if I did have the money to go unemployed for a while.
Being unemployed would drive me nuts.
I am home sick for the past day and a half and its driving me crazy.

However, I am really loving this time to get to search around in hopes of finding a new job on my days off.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Right around your age I had similar options and I did a little of all of it. My jobs never made me feel content so going to college was a way to satisfy my ambition and restlessness. I did take advantage of stable work, reliable income, and low key working enviornments to aid in preserving my energy for college and studies.

For one 5 year period, I worked in the banking industry in a computer center so we had both day and evening shift opportunities. At first it was full time night shift work and part time day college. Then it turned into full time night shift and full time day college (12 units). Warning though...it leads to burn out and it marked the first time I dropped out of college.

I moved to a different state, and again I was in a low stress data entry production company (for another 5 year period). When I returned to college it was part time college and full time work. Then I did full time college and part time work. That's when I dropped out again. It just isn't practical to try and carry a full time load and work too. (at least not for me).

After a year off, I went back again! This time it was full time work again, and full time college again (yep...sigh....). The difference was it was a two year program, and much of the requirements I had already fullfilled. It was really hard!! So busy, so much stress, but I made it.

So as you can see I tried different combinations. A couple key things: 1- if your workplace is low stress...try to use it to your advantage so that you have money. If you have financial support while you go to college, that is probably ideal. 2- I had a unique "hang up" during this time in my life. I didn't want to be a full-time student non-worker and that's why I always worked. Why? Because I didn't like the expectations I felt if I were to be only a student. It would imply I needed to acheive really good grades, and also that I would have financial dependence. So instead, I put myself through hell. I also had a lot of trouble with substance abuse during this time. These "hang ups" mainly were because I had a very bad support system. You have to assess who will support you and how that will be done.

Last edited:

SammyMay

Registered Member
Right around your age I had similar options and I did a little of all of it. My jobs never made me feel content so going to college was a way to satisfy my ambition and restlessness. I did take advantage of stable work, reliable income, and low key working enviornments to aid in preserving my energy for college and studies.

For one 5 year period, I worked in the banking industry in a computer center so we had both day and evening shift opportunities. At first it was full time night shift work and part time day college. Then it turned into full time night shift and full time day college (12 units). Warning though...it leads to burn out and it marked the first time I dropped out of college.

I moved to a different state, and again I was in a low stress data entry production company (for another 5 year period). When I returned to college it was part time college and full time work. Then I did full time college and part time work. That's when I dropped out again. It just isn't practical to try and carry a full time load and work too. (at least not for me).

After a year off, I went back again! This time it was full time work again, and full time college again (yep...sigh....). The difference was it was a two year program, and much of the requirements I had already fullfilled. It was really hard!! So busy, so much stress, but I made it.

So as you can see I tried different combinations. A couple key things: 1- if your workplace is low stress...try to use it to your advantage so that you have money. If you have financial support while you go to college, that is probably ideal. 2- I had a unique "hang up" during this time in my life. I didn't want to be a full-time student non-worker and that's why I always worked. Why? Because I didn't like the expectations I felt if I were to be only a student. It would imply I needed to acheive really good grades, and also that I would have financial dependence. So instead, I put myself through hell. I also had a lot of trouble with substance abuse during this time. These "hang ups" mainly were because I had a very bad support system. You have to assess who will support you and how that will be done.

I read through this and feel that your story is exactly what rolls through my head when I think about all of the options i have. Especially the ''full time student expectation" to be honest, im not very good when it comes to school...or rather, perhaps I am, but when it came to highschool (bringing that substance abuse into play) I just didnt care. And looking back on it now, (as im sure most people do) im thinking, SHIT. I should of, and could of done so much better had I just had the drive and commitment to something that would've bettered my life, and maybe i wouldn't be in this situation now.

Im happy to say that I believe I have an awesome support group behind me. However the full time program im looking to attend is a 8-4pm course. So finding a night shift or part time could be challenging.

Im hoping to find perhaps a serving job? I've done food service for 4 years, and I really think that tips (even minimum amount) would be the make or break point for my financial needs.

Zenheizer

needs practice
I believe education is invaluable, and despite the hard economic times and student loans you may owe, that the investment will be worth it.
Knowledge is love.

Consider furthering your formal learning experiences, and if you can, do it!