Full Body Scanners

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So I've only heard of it before until last month when I get to experience this.

There's an old thread about this before but just a background: Coming to an Airport Near You: Full Body Scanners | Air Safety Week | Find Articles at BNET

My impressions:

- It takes longer than the regular scan. And the whole aiport screening process is already long enough. Before, you just strip yourself of anything that can go beep beep, and pass through a metal detector. Now, you still do the same stripping and walk into this space where you have to raise your arms and "pose" and wait while the one scanning you checks if you're ok or not. It takes a few seconds.

So I'm wondering, if the scanners are indeed better at seeing every part of your body, then why the need to semi-strip like before?

- I can imagine when people were afraid it was going to be invasive. I didn't feel at ease at all when I had to do that arm raising pose. I know the scannist (?) can see a lot. Even if they do say that images are deleted after and identity preserved, it still feels weird.

Would this technology have any effect on your travel preferences?

Dabs

Registered Member
I have never been on an airplane, so I have never went thru this scanning process.
I guess I understand the need for security and safety....but I hear tell some of the latest scanning techniques are too personal~
I heard on the news recently, where some man was trying to sue this certain airport....why??......kinda funny :lol:......because as he was being "scanned", the guard, or scannerman, supposedly made a remark about how small he was in the pecker area!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yeah, we do have to compromise some of our sense of privacy if we want to get on planes. :lol: Other security measure aren't limited to airports (ex: body pats) but the whole almost stripping down or allowing for body scan (in front of everyone too) is something I've just gone through when traveling by plane.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm surprised people are just worried about this again just now when it has been happening since this summer (or even maybe before). Is it because of Thanksgiving travels? :lol:

I have heard some who intend to create delays protesting this just to make a statement on a busy Thanksgiving traveling season. Geez, I'm traveling this Christmas, I don't need another delay inducing activity like last year (the christmas bomber attempt).

Dabs

Registered Member
I would rather go thru the scanner, than refuse it and have the pat down...that's just me~
I'm not afraid the radiation is gonna kill me, hell....I'm gonna die someday anyway~

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
I'm surprised people are just worried about this again just now when it has been happening since this summer (or even maybe before). Is it because of Thanksgiving travels? :lol:
I think the reason it's been brought up again is because it was just recently news that the US is funding new machines.

I don't like it. I would rather the pat down. I've had some before, and it's not nearly as invasive as I see these scanners to be.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So it's like they're barely concerned with their privacy rights until they have to shell out more money for it? :lol:

I have read in one of the threads here how a citizen was able to avoid both the scan and pat, but he had nothing else to do, held up others (I suppose)...anyway he was successful.

Others were pushing for Israeli type of security where no one has breached it for years and yet it doesn't take hours like in the US.