• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fukushima waste to be released into ocean

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A worker fell into a tank full of radioactive waste and died from his injuries. Now Japan has ordered this waste to be dumped into the ocean.

Japan orders Fukushima waste to be released into ocean after worker falls into tank of radioactive water and dies - NaturalNews.com

I think this is a dumb idea, the ocean is already sick enough. They need to come up with an alternative plan. Between this, garbage, over fishing and oil spills the ocean is on a fast track to die completely.

Thoughts?

Clare

Registered Member
Way to solve a problem! Seems like a really stupid idea to me too. Japan themselves rely so much on seafood I can't imagine why they of all people would want to risk putting this stuff into the water. Not to mention the other areas of the world that will also be affected by the radiation.

I agree with some of the comments on the article in that the guy who died just sounds like an excuse to do this. It's very sad that he died but it says his harness wasn't even on properly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

Clare

Registered Member
Thanks for the articles. Scary stuff. Obviously there are a lot of problems already without doing something to make it worse.

My family still eats quite a bit of seafood but mostly Australian produce, which is probably about as safe as it's going to get. I can't recall seeing Japanese fish for sale here anyway, but we do have a fair amount imported from China.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most of the catfish we get here now comes from Vietnam and I've read they really throw the antibiotics to it because the water is so polluted. It may be the same way in China.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
zOOmg! Thats a seriously nutjob plan! The oceans already have serious issues with garbage and mercury and pollution and oil spills and stuff. I hope some international organization can stop them!

dDave

V.I.P.
I didn't see this when it was posted before.

I could have sworn something like this was illegal under international law.

Either way, it's an incredibly dumb idea.

Unfortunately, mistakes like the one made at Fukushima scare people enough that it's pretty hard to get any new nuclear plants out there. They're far superior if they're well taken care of.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Nuclear power is totally cool but no way they should ever be built in earthquake zones or especially in the Ring of Fire! And whats really scary is that Japan has other nuclear power plants. I wonder what would happen if a new volcano erupted under one of them. Imo the Ring of Fire is just way too unstable to support nukes!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No Japan probably shouldn't have nuclear power plants at all. Part of the problem last time was they didn't know what they were doing.