• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fukushima: should we be very scared?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Here's the latest, in news article and blog form:

The Fukushima, Japan nuclear disaster has 5 nuclear reactors burning, 2 in partial meltdown and 3 in full meltdown- and they've ALL been uncontrollably burning since March 11th. Its been over 3 months and this nuclear disaster remains completely out of control.
The amount and intensity of the radioactive fallout from this particular nuclear disaster will assuredly kill hundreds of millions of people worldwide over time.
To give one an example of how lethal radiation is, one pound of plutonium evenly distributed into everyone's lungs would kill every man, woman and child on Earth. There are literally "tons" of radioactive plutonium (among other radioactive elements) that have been released into the air and ocean environments since March 11th.
The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), the federal environmental safety agency arm of the US government has shut down nearly all of its radiation detection monitors in the USA for fear that the American people will learn the TRUTH that a lethal dose of radioactive fallout has now descended upon the nation.
Fukushima is the greatest nuclear and environmental disaster in human history

There’s been “an increase of about 35 percent in deaths of babies under 1 year old in Boise, Seattle, Portland and the northern California cities of Santa Cruz, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose and Berkeley,” states a June 16 Eugene Weekly report
Japan's nuclear meltdown linked to baby deaths along West coast

Etc.

Earless Rabbit Born Near Fukushima

Etc.

Decontamination system fails again at Japan nuclear plant

Sounds as though we could be in a pickle, to say the least! Still, there are those renounce these stories as baseless and/or alarmist tripe. What's your thinking, GF?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
You know, all of this is really scary when you zero in on it. What scares me even more than the event happening, at times, is how people jumped to defend nuclear energy so quickly. If there's a one percent chance that this can happen to people and to the environment, I think it's too much.

If this is true, I just don't have the words:

The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), the federal environmental safety agency arm of the US government has shut down nearly all of its radiation detection monitors in the USA for fear that the American people will learn the TRUTH that a lethal dose of radioactive fallout has now descended upon the nation.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Before I comment, I'll caveat that I know next to nothing about any of this.

That said, if everything is such a ginormous freaking disaster that'll slaughter everyone, why is Japan still full of healthy people? Why isn't 85% + of the nation's population sick and dying?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Before I comment, I'll caveat that I know next to nothing about any of this.

That said, if everything is such a ginormous freaking disaster that'll slaughter everyone, why is Japan still full of healthy people? Why isn't 85% + of the nation's population sick and dying?
One, it probablyisn't quite so freaking ginormous that it'll slaughter everybody. Two, the prevailing westerlies blew the radiation offshore and toward the USA. http://www.generalforum.com/973682-post28342.html Three, plutonium is slow acting. Cancer, for example, takes time to manifest. Four, I don't think the sudden rise in infant mortality here in the West and earless rabbit born near the Daiichi plant should necessarily be dismissed as coincidence.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I agree that Fukushima is an epic nuclear disaster. But the chances of a positive genetic mutation in a rabbit are very small. Positive means the animal wasn't born dead. The earless rabbit was prolly a birth defect. If it was a genetic mutation, there should be a ton of dead rabbits near where it was born due to negative mutations.
Check out paragraph 8 in this lecture.
Ontogeny and Phylogeny

I asked dad to check the Geiger counter too. The average reading before the disaster was 18.5. That can go up and down as much as 2 points.
The reading in central Oklahoma, USA tonight was 21.6.
21.6 is a safe reading. It would have to be twice as high and stay that high for a month to be harmful.

EDIT - Tucker is right about how slow-acting Plutonium and other radiation is. Also, if someone is very immune to cancer, it could take even longer to show up. What could show up very fast is skin burns.

I don't trust the government for real information about this so we will be checking the Geiger counter every day or two to see what's up.

Last edited: