• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Frightening Medical Experience

Dabs

Registered Member
Have you ever had a medical procedure that had you really scared??
Back in 1979, I was ready to give birth to my second child...I had all c-section births....so I was lying in the operating room, my left arm strapped down...and my body was prepared..and my right arm had the I.V. drip, which was also strapped down.
Then they placed the oxygen mask over my mouth and nose...and basically, I couldn't move.
The person who was administering the anesthesia obviously wasn't fully trained, because as they told me they were going to start the sleepy meds, I suddenly felt a terrible burning sensation in my right arm......it was like my arm was on fire.
What made it worse was, I couldn't yell out, I couldn't move......I could hear every single word perfectly and yet, I wasn't able to use any of my functions!
I thought perhaps it would ease up in a bit, but no....then I closed my eyes because of the pain and I heard my doctor say "she's under"
I was like..."OMG".....wait a sec here, I'm not under.
I kept thinking any minute now, I'm going to feel the cutting being made by the scalpel and I am pretty sure it's going to hurt worse than the pain in my arm.
So with every bit of energy I could muster, I opened my eyes wide and tried to 'yell'......it was muffled......but it caught the attention of someone, because they hurriedly removed my mask and asked if I was Ok.
I told them my right arm was burning and it hurt like hell.
Turns out, the I.V. wasn't even in a vein......damn, what a close call that was.
Anyone have any terrifying medical experiences??

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
That sounds scary as hell! I am terrified to have any surgical procedures purely for that reason. Luckily, knock on wood, so far I haven't had any.

Closest I've had to any type or surgery was when I broke my arm when I was 6. They had to put me under to snap it back into place. But, as I was 6, they didn't tell me anything, so didn't have a say in the matter. And the only thing I remember from that was the nurse counting down from 10 and getting to about 7 before I dropped off. The thought of being awake when they put the bones back into place just makes my skin crawl.

Dabs

Registered Member
That sounds scary as hell! I am terrified to have any surgical procedures purely for that reason. Luckily, knock on wood, so far I haven't had any.

Closest I've had to any type or surgery was when I broke my arm when I was 6. They had to put me under to snap it back into place. But, as I was 6, they didn't tell me anything, so didn't have a say in the matter. And the only thing I remember from that was the nurse counting down from 10 and getting to about 7 before I dropped off. The thought of being awake when they put the bones back into place just makes my skin crawl.

When I think back to it now, I kinda wonder maybe I should have looked into it further...but it doesn't bother me at this point, the baby was fine, I was fine.
But, there was a definite fuck up.
I have had 9 major surgeries, where I have been quote "cut open"...and I have been put under anesthesia about 14 times now I think.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Nothing too scary for me actually. More or less just getting my wisdom teeth and other teeth pulled out... that's really all. Nothing frightening.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
sounds terrifying! I've not had any experiences that were anywhere near as bad, thankfully.

The one that comes closest happened just a few weeks ago, when the local anaesthetic on my arm wore off 5 hours earlier than it should have during surgery, and the feeling returned to my arm literally 5 or 10 minutes after they finished operating.

It hurt so so so much when it started to wear off prematurely but I'm just glad I was all stitched up by then.

The most worrying thing was, I told the nurse afterwards that my arm/hand was in absolute agony. Worst pain I had ever experienced. She just said "oh, are you sure you aren't imagining that... your arm will be numb for quite a long time yet". ...:-/

Starfire86

Registered Member
I had one of my wisdom teeth removed and they had me on the gas...I think they were trying to knock me out or something but years of substance abuse left me conscious. Anyhoo- basically I was high as a kite from the gas and worried that they would send me to jail.
Other than that...I was terrified of needles when I was younger, but I forced myself out of that fear by donating blood every chance I could.

BigBob

Registered Member
Not one that I knew of until my mom told me recently. I guess when I had to get my tonsels out, I wouldn't wake up after the surgery. Wasn't scary for me, but it was for my parents and the doctors didn't know what to do. I guess it took hours for me to come out of it.