• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hmmm... Friendly vs Romantic interest

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Without the use of actual words or physical contact to make it obvious, how can you tell if a person is just being friendly or is romantically interested in you?

What looks like "signs" to you? Or if you're the other party, how differently do you behave with someone you just want to be good friends and someone you want to be romantically involved? If you wanted to send the right message without being straightforward, I mean.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I don't. I am never able to tell. A chick could walk up to me in a bar and say, "let's fuck" and I will laugh, thinking it's a joke. And I don't act differently between friends and romantic interests. Mainly because I know they won't work out. That's what happened with a girl at work.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I pretty much can't tell. There've been a few times I've kinda wondered, but it was way too vague for anything more than idle speculation.

I remember one time I was at work, and one of my coworkers told me one of the customers had totally been checking me out. I had absolutely no clue (and still don't know if my coworker was being serious or not)

Hitman

Registered Member
As you probably know from my thread, I'm currently struggling with this very topic. And I can kind of speak from both sides of the coin. There's the girl at work that I like romantically and then there are other girls at work that I am friendly with. The ones I'm friendly with, I'm generally kinda quick with a response and I don't get nervous around them. But the other one generally has me making more of an effort and being more conscious of what I'm doing and saying.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have an example. I was laughing with a guy at work today who said a funny joke. He likes this girl I work with and because he knew I found it funny, he wanted to make sure she heard it too.. So he sort of included her in the joke. He got her attention and repeated it to see if she laughed too. It was a bit annoying, but I could see by the looks he gave her.
I was also doing silly impressions and he pointed out that the other girl does it better.
It's weird.. He will have a laugh with me, but then it's as though he feels guilty for leaving the other girl out, even though they aren't in a relationship or anything.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I have absolutely no idea. When it comes to "signs", I'm completely blind. I've had girls tell me years later that they were interested and had done just about everything they could to drop a hint and I still never made a move.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I have absolutely no idea. When it comes to "signs", I'm completely blind. I've had girls tell me years later that they were interested and had done just about everything they could to drop a hint and I still never made a move.
Yeah, that's the other thing. Sure, sometimes guys are blind, but sometimes people just expect you to read their mind.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
What looks like "signs" to you? Or if you're the other party, how differently do you behave with someone you just want to be good friends and someone you want to be romantically involved? If you wanted to send the right message without being straightforward, I mean.
I'm not so sure. I think I give out tons of mixed signals ALL the time, because I end up flirting with people unintentionally. Sometimes it's not even flirting, and it comes across as flirting.

As for reading signs myself, I'm bad at reading guys. If a guy wants to go out with me, he just has to come out and say "hey, let's go out!" otherwise there's no fucking chance for him because I just end up assuming everyone wants to be friends.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Speaking of sings, I can tell how they look at me, when and where. I get constant attention and they try to do things to make me laugh or anything of the sort.
I think I'm good at realizing when someone is giving me hints about how they are feeling at the moment. Never had a hard time with that.

Now, how I behave around someone I'm interested in??
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and those are my worst moments.
I shut myself down, become shy, don't talk, don't stay around him, become nervous, drink too much water, don't look at them in the eye, lose confidence, weigh my words and actions too much, overthink his words and actions too much and I mostly stay in the shadows.. and so on. Probably not what a guy would like to see and surely not a way to get his attention or make you notice him.

I envy other girls who feel confident around guys they like. But I hate it that I'm different in that aspect and that I get blocked.
Unlike with someone else I'm not romantically interested in where I'm TOTALLY myself, act freely and funny, carelessly, goofy, confident and so on. I totally feel comfortable around I don't have feelings for.

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I have developed the art of being able to recognise whether a girl wants to do something or put me in the friendzone. I am quite funny but at times, I would tell shit jokes just to dip my toes in the water and see who responds to it and most of the time, when around girls, one will always laugh at it to get my attention and I just work my way from there and see what happens from that point on.

This might sound like a cliche but girls touching their hair, their face and touching my arm when talking to me always means that they are interested.