• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Freudian slips haunt Obama

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Opinion: Freudian slips may haunt Obama - Keith Koffler - POLITICO.com

The point of the article is presidents are often defined by what they say off the prompter or when their guard is down. The one of Bush Sr was hilarious: Message-I Care. The slips of Obama really fuel the idea that he's a snob and thinks he knows better than us:

• “They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”
  • “For the first time in my adult life,” she said early during the 2008 campaign, “I am proud of my country.” (Michelle quote)
  • “I think when you spread the wealth around,” Obama told him, “it’s good for everybody.”
  • “I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”
There were a few more quotes in there. I would add the "Anybody know where I can buy arugula?" because 90% of Americans including me, have no clue what that is. Also would add "people are scared and not thinking straight." and the "solid B+ grade." Geez-if I think about for a few minutes I could probably come up with more.

There's enough of these slips to build a case that Obama is a elitist snob. Agree?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
If Obama's an elitist snob for saying those things (and I guess something his wife said? what?), then I guess I'm an elitist snob too. So rock on elitist snobs, I guess.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I read an article, and I haven't verified it but to be honest I haven't searched much because I've been busy, that talked about his recent trip. He was allegedly welcomed somewhere and the person speaking to him said something along the lines of "As a fellow decendant from Kenya it's so very good to see"...at which time Obama allegedly said "that I've made something of myself" and the welcomer finished his sentence with something like "the good will you are spreading throughout the world"......not sure if it's true or the exact context but if true does sound somewhat elistist to me.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is another opinion that expanded on the people get scared and don't think straight comment: Michael Gerson - Obama the snob

This is what Obama said last month:
"and facts and science and argument [do] not seem to be winning the day all the time is because we're hard-wired not to always think clearly when we're scared. And the country is scared."
Gerson interpreted that as Obama saying We on the left think with our scientific brain and use facts while people on the right use the more fearful, primitive parts of their brains. Essentially, the left has evolved more.

I think that's a fair assement

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
"Elitist snob" is the new "dumb redneck" that Bush used to hear. Both are humorous but offer nothing in terms of substance to political conversation.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yes. It actually ended 2 years ago. I don't understand your point.
No offense intended, but I do understand the point of a thread that talks about Presidential gaffes and verbal missteps that can be funny or strange ("That depends on what your definition of 'is' is."); not necessarily a focus on What President Obama and Joe the plumber had said during the 2008 Presidential campaign. I understand that the article is from a few days ago, but I guess I just question its relevance more than the thread itself.

Plus, we've already had a thread or two that has effectively conveyed peoples' opinions on "Obama as a snob," and I'm not sure why revisiting that is needed.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
No offense intended, but I do understand the point of a thread that talks about Presidential gaffes and verbal missteps that can be funny or strange ("That depends on what your definition of 'is' is."); not necessarily a focus on What President Obama and Joe the plumber had said during the 2008 Presidential campaign. I understand that the article is from a few days ago, but I guess I just question its relevance more than the thread itself.

Plus, we've already had a thread or two that has effectively conveyed peoples' opinions on "Obama as a snob," and I'm not sure why revisiting that is needed.
No offense and I didn't really realize it was covered ground my work load keeps me away from the computer a lot these days. It's interesting to me that Presidents have a political perception and a pop-culture perception and the battle to control both of them. Clearly the elitist title stuck to Obama. I saw also on politico that Axelrod has had to respond to the criticism.
The other thing that is negatively affecting Obama right now I think is many of the political talking heads that are on his side are kinda freaking out over the last election. I've heard Bill Mayer call Americans stupid several times, Huffington has this weird idea that teaparty members have lizard brains, Michael Moore likewise called Americans stupid. Obama can't control those messengers as they don't speak for him, but since they have carried the water for Obama for so long their remarks tend to solidify the perception people have of Obama. At least for Conservatives and independents.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nevyrmoore Technology 1
Rapier General Discussion 7