Freedom Tower Construction Commences!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Mirage, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

The "Freedom Tower" and associated buildings are now under construction.

Lower Manhattan : News | Rebuilding the WTC from the Ground Up

[​IMG]

Lower Manhattan : Freedom Tower

Watch the videos there, especially the nighttime flyby. It looks like there is going to be a light in the top of the building that will be pretty epic if you ask me.

[​IMG]

Freedom Tower

and

LowerManhattan.info Photo Gallery

Here are some more pictures. I definitely plan to visit NYC when this opens and go to the top of it. It's going to be 1776 feet tall which is several hundred feet taller than the World Trade Center towers were.

2. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Damn. That's pretty awesome.

I would love to go see that once it's built and go up to the top.

Heh. I’ve never even been to the top of the Arch and I live in Missouri.

3. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

How long will it take them to build it, do you think?

4. Mirage

Last time I was in St. Louis it cost like $25-$75 (somewhere in there) to go up to the top of the arch. I decided it wasn't worth the money.
    ------
    I'd imagine up to a year or more. It seems like a HUGE project but I haven't followed many projects like this. Maybe they will be quicker than I expect.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Yeah, it does cost some money. Not exactly sure how much though.

But seeing as I live only 15 minutes away from downtown and I've lived here all my life you'd think it'd be something I'd have done.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Well, gee, don't be in a rush or anything. The disaster happened in 2001 and it's only 2008.

Those images look pretty good. Nothing TOO extreme to take away from the other buildings, yet sleek and stylish enough for this century.

7. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I thought they had started building that a long time ago. Goes to show I need to stop thinking so much. I also would think it would take longer to build than a year. we just got finished building another 8 story hospital 3 blocks over and it took 2 years.

8. barbiegirl14

barbiegirl14 Registered Member

What if the Iraqis crash them again?

I mean.... that seems like very possible dont you think?

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It does look lovely! I was in WTC the year before it crashed. Hopefully my trip to the Freedom Tower when it's done wouldn't give it the same luck. :lol:

Dude, you've got some saving to do for next year. LOL

There are many touristy places here that I haven't visited either. I haven't even been to the very top of the Eiffel Tower. I just go to the touristy spots when I'm touring a friend. Other than that, I was thinking they won't go away and I have all the time to check them out since I live here.

The Iraqis didn't crash the WTC. It was the Al Qaeda (well, some of their members). None of the hijackers were from Iraq.

Anyway, I'm confident they've thought of the angle of "repeat attacks" and found a way to secure the area better than before.

10. Mirage

Yeah I highly doubt it will be attacked again. You can be sure there will be some extra precautions taken when building the new buildings. Not only that but I bet there will be some anti air defense missiles ready to take out any rogue planes headed towards the city without radio contact. It's just not worth the risk of letting unidentified planes too close ever again.