• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Free time vs Really busy

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
So I know some people hate having heaps of free time to themselves, aka long breaks from school/work as they feel restless and don't have anything to do. On the other hand some people love heaps of free time and can always find ways to entertain themselves.

I personally have been going from one extreme to the other in the past few years. The year before last I spent almost an entire year doing... nothing at all. This is something that would drive most people crazy, but as the lazy bastard I am I loved it.

Then last year I took up a course at a local community college, it wasn't much work but it kept me partly busy.

This year however I am studying full time at University. And while I know it's good for me and I'm learning heaps and doing something with my life, I do really miss all the free time I used to have. At the moment I'm basically always at school, travelling to school or doing school work. Even on days off, weekends, term breaks etc. Almost 90% of my time at least is schoolwork or work and I sort of hate it.

So which do you prefer? Plenty of time to yourself to do whatever you want, or keeping fairly busy with studies/work etc?

Vecoli

Registered Member
I need to have a mixture of both. I love having time to myself and just laying around doing nothing eventually I will drive myself crazy, But when I have school + Work I can't wait to have time to myself so I always need both. If I had to choose I would probably choose free time to do anything I wanted though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate having free time at work since the day goes by so slowly. If I have work than the day usually flys by. During the weekend I love having free time to do whatever and usually I take advantage of it by hanging out with some friends.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I like a mixture. If I was doing absolutely nothing at all, then I would get bored and feel depressed. I at least need to have some type of steady job. I like to work my appointed hours, maybe some extra hours as well, and then have all the rest of the time for free time. I can usually always occupy myself with something.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I like free time, but I usually fill it with something spontaneous and something I enjoy which then makes it busy but at a leisurely pace. I can easily burn 3 hours on the computer, then maybe do a chore in the house, attend to the kids' needs more efficiently, take time to garden and read, take the dog somewhere, run errands, etc. Now that I have to work, and it's the middle of track season, and my senior is preparing for college, it's crazy busy. I don't like being pushed from one event to the other and facing deadlines and major responsibilities.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Being busy a lot with Uni these days, it has made me crave busy time for than anything when I have free time because I feel out of whack and feel depressed for rest of the day and I always try to do something to keep my occupied.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
I like to have more free time than to work like an idiot 24/7. I mean, when something needs to be done then I do it, but I really enjoy being alone or with friends and not doing anything.

Falconer

Registered Member
At the moment I'm dying for some free time, but that's because I've got my dissertation due date coming up and then graduation and I kind of feel like I haven't had time to breathe in weeks. ;P You can bet that as soon as that's all over and I've been doing sweet FA for a few weeks while looking for a job, I'll be going nuts wanting to be busy. Guess I'm just never happy with where things are... :p