Free software that you'd like to tell us about

Discussion in 'Technology' started by fractal, Jun 12, 2010.

1. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

I thought it would be nice if we had a thread in which we can mention free software that others might not be aware of:

Sumatra PDF viewer by Krzysztof Kowalczyk
    This is a very small and fast PDF reader. It does not have any advanced features but most of don't use the advanced features of a document viewer.

Notepad++ | Current version : v5.6.8
    A very good source code editor.

foobar2000
    This is an audio player with a very small memory footprint. It is almost completely customizable and you can download several plugins to extend its functionality. However, I do not recommend it if you're not willing to customize it.

WordWeb: Free English thesaurus dictionary download
    This is my favourite dictionary. It's small and you can look up a selected word with a hotkey.

Copy your files faster with TeraCopy
    Teracopy actually improves transfer rates when you're dealing with large amounts of data and allows you to pause and continue file transfers. When transfers fail, it tells you which transfers have failed and allows you to decide the next course of action. This is a must have software for anybody.

7-Zip
    A software that handles multiple compression formats.

SMPlayer - General Info
    SMPlayer is the Windows port for the popular Linux movie player called MPlayer. I can't say that it's better than other movie players but it's my favourite. I suggest you check it out and see if you like it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010

2. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Hey bro! I think having a thread like this is a great idea. Thanks! I have no problem with free software........some of them are actually good. You mentioned Wordweb and I constantly use it .....it is excellent!

3. fractal

If you're a Firefox user, I highly recommend the plugins:

AdBlock Plus
    This nifty little ad on will automatically subscribe to lists of URLs that produce ads on pages, and block them. It puts a little 'Block' marker on most ads. If you click it, any ad from that source will be blocked. I love it.

Fastest Fox
    When you select words, it automatically pops up a bubble allowing you to search in major search engines. If you wait for a while, a definition of the word pops up. It also adds some refinements to searches. On most websites, it can go to the next page once you scroll to the end. This list of features is not exhaustive.

4. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Thanks! I have about three different browsers that I currently use
    ( Internet explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox). I find using Firefox is a lot more effective when I'm on GF.........and ....yeah......I have AdBlock.
    I'm going to check out the Fastest Fox though.

5. fractal

You'll love FastestFox. This isn't software, but I love pressing the F11 key while browsing. Isn't it epic? IE 8 and Chrome rock but they just don't have many good add ons.

6. fractal

Two excellent download managers are

JDownloader
    This is Java dependent and has several plugins to automatically process downloads links from several different websites. It's the most general purpose download manager and I very strongly recommend it.

Mipony
    This is another good download manager that works well for the major websites. It's not Java dependent.