• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Divisive Free birth control leads to reduced abortions, teen births ... surprising no one

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Story

A program that provides contraceptives to low-income women contributed to a 40-percent drop in Colorado's teen birth rate over five years, according to state officials.

The program, known as the Colorado Family Planning Initiative, provides intrauterine devices (IUDs) or implants at little to no cost for low-income women at 68 family planning clinics in Colorado.

The teen abortion rate dropped by 35 percent from 2009 to 2012 in counties served by the program, according to the state's estimates.

Young women served by the family planning clinics also accounted for about three-fourths of the overall decline in Colorado's teen birth rate during the same time period. And the infant caseload for Colorado WIC, a nutrition program for low-income women and their babies, fell by 23 percent from 2008 to 2013.

"This initiative has saved Colorado millions of dollars," Governor John Hickenlooper said in a statement. "But more importantly, it has helped thousands of young Colorado women continue their education, pursue their professional goals and postpone pregnancy until they are ready to start a family."
I know some people, for some reason or another, seem to think that contraception is 'wrong' somehow. However, stories like this one aggravate me because it shows how simply educating people and giving them the tools necessary to handle situations can help a growing problem. It's no secret I think abstinence-only education is one of the stupidest things ever conceived by mankind, but how do stats like this not sway peoples' thoughts? At least a bit?

Of course if you don't want your kid to have access, fine, I understand. But why should this sort of thing NOT be available? It's only going to help, I've never understood the 'harm' angle.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think abstinence should be taught and the consequences and responsibilities of having sex too. Don't be feeding them BS about it either, keep it truthful.

I think there is room for both though, give them free birth control because lets face it a lot of them aren't going to practice abstinence. They don't need to be having kids, getting an abortion or getting a STD.

I'm not really surprised teen birth rates went down because they gave them free birth control. To me its a win win situation. Less teen pregnancies, less drop outs, fewer people on welfare.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Teaching abstinence is not the problem, it's abstinence only (many programs receive government funding for it sadly enough) which basically refuses to teach kids anything and then pretends that it's the TV's fault when kids have sex anyways. Abstaining is obviously a safe way to avoid STDs and unwanted pregnancy, just like avoiding the pool is a good way to avoid getting wet. However, when we refuse information, we only hurt our kids.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would say you shouldn't teach abstinence only or hand out birth control only either. I think both need to go together and they should do more than just teach abstinence. Give them the information they need to make an informed decision about sex. I think its time society realized that.

If some parents don't want their kids involved they should have the option of opting out. Hope they don't regret that.

These kids have a thing called hormones and it has nothing to do with TV.

This thread reminds me of this program that was sending these dolls home with students that cried and wet its pants like a real baby. The student had to take care of it and it drove them crazy. Which these girls were wanting to get pregnant. Some of them were only 14.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Story

I know some people, for some reason or another, seem to think that contraception is 'wrong' somehow. However, stories like this one aggravate me because it shows how simply educating people and giving them the tools necessary to handle situations can help a growing problem. It's no secret I think abstinence-only education is one of the stupidest things ever conceived by mankind, but how do stats like this not sway peoples' thoughts? At least a bit?

Of course if you don't want your kid to have access, fine, I understand. But why should this sort of thing NOT be available? It's only going to help, I've never understood the 'harm' angle.

Thoughts?
This reminds me of a recent controversy about a Filipino priest who humiliated an unwed mother during baptism for not having a husband. Rough transcript of the priest sermon (went viral a few days ago, so you can youtube it if someone subtitled it to English):

"Don’t follow wrong deeds, allowing yourself to sleep with a man who is not your husband. Is that what the church has taught you? This child did not sin, but the man and the woman who slept together unwed are the ones who are living in sin. The child will bear the mistake. Hope you’ll think that this is not just about being happy and amused because the child is here. Yes, this is grace, but conceived through sin. This was not done through…Were you married? (Girl shakes head) Oh, see, is she a good Christian? Is this something you can be proud of? That you have a child, but have no husband? This is shameful. You should have covered yourself, because you are in church, shameful. Because you want this baptism even without a husband, you slept with a man who was not your husband.

Do you hear me? Aren’t you ashamed? This is so shameless. And you (addresses crowd), are you going to follow what she did? Will you spread your legs for a man you barely know? That’s why this is shameful. This child will live in grace because he is baptized. You, on the other hand, was baptized but you did not fulfill the promise of baptism. Hope this child will grow to follow his baptismal promise. You are crooked. I hope that some people will help you and enlighten you so your child will grow up following Christ’s teachings, which cannot be said of you.”
So a lot of people were angry. This is a country which the majority is Roman Catholic and the chruch is very influential. Of course there can never be abortion laws approved here. So while some church-goers are conservative they still didn't like what this priest did. Someone made a comment that it is better for a woman to have carried the baby to term and preserve life than resorting to abortion just not to say that she had a baby while unwed. Can you imagine how many did marry some random jerk because she couldn't abort either? The country also doesn't have divorce, haha.

Everything is a trap and a hypocrisy. And the Church would always go back to the same main lecture: abstinence. That every problem could be avoided if only we abstained from having sex. No unwanted pregnancies, no forced marriages to save face, no baptismal shaming...and yeah, no STDs.

They have to be strict and not allow "if you do disobey the law (have premarital sex, then at least do this (use birth control)" option. It sends mixed messages, for a preacher.

No abstinence is the simplest concept to understand. Like the way the Church says "just have faith" and it answers all questions. No studying of how to use contraception or reading about their efficiency and proper use. Just don't do it. Much as others wonder why the Church is being stubborn and not allow sex education/family planning lectures which can only be beneficial because we do know human nature...I can imagine it is the same in the other side of the spectrum. Why complicate life and not just follow the simple advice of abstinence? And if you don't follow it, all your hardships were surely because you did something bad - sort of "live with the consequence, I told you so!"