Free ASP webhost?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I've been looking all over the web for a reasonable free ASP web host service. There are some available but those I found cause the same error with the database connection string. Which is really frustrating and annoying, especially as they have no support whatsoever and in their own FAQ they have the supposed connection string to use - which of course doesn't.
The error it shows is simple - but not one I can fix I don't think.

Grrr.. Just getting my frustration out, since I doubt I will be able to solve it.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What's your problem? I run Microsoft Windows 2003 myself which fully supports ASP obviously. I might be able to help answer any questions if you can describe the errors.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Yeah I can describe it.
I put in the connection string to the access DB according to what the host says:
Dim Conn
Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
strConnection = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb);DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("/username/db/mydb.mdb")
Conn.Open(strConnection)
Conn.Close

And the error I get is:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified /ofriedma/index.asp, line 14

I understand the error but I'm not sure how to fix it. And this is after I made sure I put the db in the right place and the username is correct.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Just in case you wanted to try on a free host with no adverts here are a couple I use to test some databases out first. Windows is annoying with all their errors which is why I do it on a test server so I don't eff up my own lol

Free Web Hosting Service, 100M free site space
Free Web Hosting Service, 100M free site space, FTP, ASP Hosting
At the moment the database is in NoFeeHost (second link) and I know that was useless. I hope your first link will be of some use.
Ta Blueyes!
------
The first link is just like the second - All hosts that I've tried out have the same format with the exact same FAQ and the exact same connection string for the database, written in the exact same way, so my guess is it won't work in this one either..

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have these files worked on any other server? Sounds like it COULD be a problem with your files. Either that or the ODBC database connections weren't entered properly? I'm not sure if you have access to play around with those though.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I checked and double checked the connection string - I don't think it's a mistake.
Code:
"DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb);DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("/USERNAME/db/mydb.mdb")
I kept the file as simple as possible all it has is the code for the connection string and that's it. The error tells me that the problem is on the server and I don't have access to the server.