• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Free agents are not free after all

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
I know it's not baseball season yet. . But please now know this it's trading time. The Blue Jays and the Chicago Cubs my team and my fiancee teams are making some changes on the team.

But this post doesn't have to do with these teams. It has to do about free agents. I want to list some free agents in baseball trying to land on the team they can get the best offer from. We got Jake Arrieta from the Cubs starting pitcher, Yu Darvish from the Dodgers starting pitcher, Toronto Blue Jays Darwin Barney 2nd base and Ryan Goins SS to name a few.

Well I will tell you what some of the guys are asking for to much $$$$$. Jake Arrieta on the Cub was offered 17 million to stay . Jake Arrieta rejected the offer. . I don't think he's the only one doing this. . So many of these guys think they're more valuable than what's being offered.

I would like to ask . What do you think is the real worth of the free agents?. . Are they worth more, less, or just right? . . If you know any other free agents list their name.

Let's talk about what these baseball players free agents are worth and what they should be getting paid.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Baseball revenue is through the roof, and since there is no cap in Baseball, I do not blame the players for asking as much as they possibly can. Arrieta knows he can get more than $17M on the open market - hence why he declined the Cubs offer.

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
So maybe Arrieta from the Cubs had an offer more then the Cubs could pay him. Let's think a little bit about reality. How much $$$$ in life does a person really need. I know friends that are making less then $100, 000 a year and doing pretty well. IMO nobody in sports shouldn't get paid any more then that of a government official. Whose job is more important anyways?
The synonym of sports is GAME..

I know that the training and all is difficult. Still they're not helping anyone unless they are giving to charities such as Anthony Rizzo.
Let's talk about the US Olympics. Do these guys get paid millions ? Absolutely not. Considering these are the best athletes in the whole nation.

The last thing is sports shouldn't revolve around money like it's Wall Street. It's about enjoying and loving the game you play. You should play for the team you like. Is Arrieta really a Cub? He once was but not anymore. If he were then he would stay with the Cubs with the money they offered him of $17 million. When you play baseball you play for the coaches, your team, and especially the fans that support you watching you.

My fiancee is a Cubs fan and we feel like now he's betraying us. Yes, I believe there's always a Benedict Arnold in every generation.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Sometimes, you just take everything too much at heart. I'm no better with my Habs but that's the sad reality in sports. It's highly emotional. That's what makes it even more inebriating. (I totally sound like BROKEN Matt Hardy now lol)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
So maybe Arrieta from the Cubs had an offer more then the Cubs could pay him. Let's think a little bit about reality. How much $$$$ in life does a person really need. I know friends that are making less then $100, 000 a year and doing pretty well. IMO nobody in sports shouldn't get paid any more then that of a government official. Whose job is more important anyways?
The synonym of sports is GAME..

I know that the training and all is difficult. Still they're not helping anyone unless they are giving to charities such as Anthony Rizzo.
Let's talk about the US Olympics. Do these guys get paid millions ? Absolutely not. Considering these are the best athletes in the whole nation.

The last thing is sports shouldn't revolve around money like it's Wall Street. It's about enjoying and loving the game you play. You should play for the team you like. Is Arrieta really a Cub? He once was but not anymore. If he were then he would stay with the Cubs with the money they offered him of $17 million. When you play baseball you play for the coaches, your team, and especially the fans that support you watching you.

My fiancee is a Cubs fan and we feel like now he's betraying us. Yes, I believe there's always a Benedict Arnold in every generation.
Owners are going to throw absurd amount of money at these players – why would they not try to get as much as they possibly can!

There's no loyalty to teams by these athletes (for the most part) this day and age.

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
Yeah I know it sounds like I am putting too much heart in this post. . But let me explain. . During baseball seasons Maria and I watch every single Cubs and Blue Jays game both on TV (that's televised) and online play by play. Not only that we also follow the Cubs and the Blue Jays pages. We also read their transactions.

We get really attached to every single player on each team. As though they're good friends of ours. . It just becomes emotional to us when a player especially one we know well enough is to leave the team . . Plus know the Cubs might be giving up five players or more on this team only unless they resign. The names are Jake Arrieta (SP), John Lackey (SP), Koji Uehara (RP) Brian Duensing (RP) Alex Avila (C) and Rene Rivera (C). John Jay (LF) Then Wade Davis (closing pitcher) it's like the Cubs will be a different team this year.

There's talks about getting this Machado for 1 yr from the Orioles to give up Addison Russell the shortstop for 4 yrs..

As far as Arrieta goes he doesn't pitch as well as he did in 2016. I think Kyle Hendricks pitches better than he does on most days. John Lackey was even a pitcher better than Arrieta. Maybe that's why the Cubs didn't offer more for Arrieta. He is questionable. In saying that who will really want Arrieta for much more money? I think they offered what he really deserves. Nothing more. .

Some like Jason Hayward are over paid at $28 mil. He can play good in right field making spectacular catches. . But this guy bats so lousy these days it would be lucky he could even hit a soccer ball. He should go to the minors for awhile and practice on his batting until his average comes back up. As for the Blue Jays I will save that for another post.