Fraud?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you ever been involved in fraud? Not you commiting fraud but someone using your information to commit fraud?

Well it has happened to me, here's my story:

When I went for an interview for my current job, I needed to get security clearance, so they had every information about me possible. Well there's this one guy that leaves in my area, that has the same name as I do, same day of birth, same year. He stole my street adress and home phone number. This guy did some illegal things, and they thought it was me because when they read my profile. Anyways so I almost lost the chance to get a great job because of this douche bag. But a few weeks later they cleared it up and I had one digit different on my driver's licence then him.

So I thought everything was taken care of, but no. Today I get home I have a message on my home phone stating to call the credit bureau. So I call them, and they said that I have an outgoing bill that hasn't been paid yet. I told them that I just received my cell bill today and I have till November 7th to pay. So when I was talking to them, I thought of this douche bag and told myself it's probably this guy. So I tell the lady about what happened. Then she asked me for my home phone number, she says that's what we have. So this guy used my home phone number, same thing with my street adress. So then she asked me for the last three digits on my sin number card, so I told her and those were different, then she asked me for my middle name and that was different. So after a few more questions, like asking me if I have student loans or if I'm leasing a car, they finally noticed that it wasn't me. So everything is cleared now, but who knows if this guy will strike again. If I ever meet this guy face to face he'll get a beatting, all he's done is give me headaches in the last year or so.

I called my cell phone company asking them to send me a later stating that everything was fixed, in the same time I did that they asked for my information and such and once again they had similar information except the sin number card and middle name was different. Anyways she told me how much the guy owed and it was close to 2,000$. Piss me off so much.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Thankfully, no. I take care of that by shredding almost everything I get.

And then chucking the shreds in the fireplace.

*EDIT* As an aside, you have to be careful of what you put up on the Web as well. You can't shred that.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah...but the information he got was his home phone number and address. You can get that out of the yellow pages. There's not really anything he could do to prevent that.

That sucks br. Nothing like that has happened to me, thank goodness.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Yeah...but the information he got was his home phone number and address. You can get that out of the yellow pages. There's not really anything he could do to prevent that.
Doesn't stop you from destroying your documents. BR was lucky, the idiot trying to commit fraud only used a random phone number and accompanying address. Which you can't really use on their own for most worthwhile things, and in general is easy to recover from.

However, as a hypothetical situation, lets say that BR accidentally chucked out some important documents without thoroughly destroying them first, as well as left a trail of personal information around the Web. With that, anyone could perform a complete identity theft on him, performing so much damage that it would probably completely destroy his life.

Sure, you can't prevent anyone from randomly picking your home address and your telephone number. But you can prevent someone from stealing your whole identity and making the rest of your life a miserable hell.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This guys as the same first and last name as I do, he was born on the same day and same year as me, he didn't steal that from me. He just stole other information like my street adress and my home phone number.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Doesn't stop you from destroying your documents. BR was lucky, the idiot trying to commit fraud only used a random phone number and accompanying address. Which you can't really use on their own for most worthwhile things, and in general is easy to recover from.

However, as a hypothetical situation, lets say that BR accidentally chucked out some important documents without thoroughly destroying them first, as well as left a trail of personal information around the Web. With that, anyone could perform a complete identity theft on him, performing so much damage that it would probably completely destroy his life.

Sure, you can't prevent anyone from randomly picking your home address and your telephone number. But you can prevent someone from stealing your whole identity and making the rest of your life a miserable hell.
Um...it wasn't random. BR was obviously targeted. The only information he took was the address and phone number...which he looked up. You get just about get that on anyone, anywhere if they have a home telephone. you can't on me, because I only have a cell phone...but that's beside the point. He couldn't have prevented this.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Um...it wasn't random. BR was obviously targeted. The only information he took was the address and phone number...which he looked up. You get just about get that on anyone, anywhere if they have a home telephone. you can't on me, because I only have a cell phone...but that's beside the point. He couldn't have prevented this.
I'm not arguing that he could have. In fact, I don't see how we got here, seeing as I was only answering the very first question:

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INVOLVED IN FRAUD?

I simply stated what I have been doing to protect myself from fraud and having my identity stolen, NOT what I have been doing to prevent people who just so happen to have the same name and DOB as me from finding my home address.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
This guys as the same first and last name as I do, he was born on the same day and same year as me, he didn't steal that from me. He just stole other information like my street adress and my home phone number.
That in itself is pretty weird. I mean, what are the chances? :shocked:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm not arguing that he could have. In fact, I don't see how we got here, seeing as I was only answering the very first question:

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INVOLVED IN FRAUD?

I simply stated what I have been doing to protect myself from fraud and having my identity stolen, NOT what I have been doing to prevent people who just so happen to have the same name and DOB as me from finding my home address.

My bad. I thought you were telling him how he could have avoided it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Not that I'm aware of. I do know some people who have been frauded (someone used their name and forged their signature). Pain in the arse to fix.