• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

France - The final step to ban Burka

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Just like Ilus said, identity is an important issue over there so they want everyone to reveal[at least] their face.

I very much support this law and I think it's fair for the above reason.

Well, it's not about veils but it's about Burka. I think they are two different things. While a veil covers the body and doesn't seem to cause any problem, the Burka covers even the face. That's why they specified "Burka" and not just "veil".
I'm curious to see what the reaction would be after 6 months when this law comes into power.
Yes Burka is what I meant by Veil, sorry!

I do not think I can agree with this law. It seems... extremely prejudice to me. I mean, will they ban Ski Mask to be worn in winter? They only reveal the eyes... Or maybe they should ban the use of large sun glasses in summer as this hides the eyes and much of facial features... you see what it is I am trying to say?

It seems to me this is a ban on France's freedom of religion more so than a security problem.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
And who's saying that these women are being forced to wear the burka?
No one knows if they are being forced or not. Some may be, on the other hand some others don't want to wear it but if their religion says so then they HAVE TO wear it.
So in a way, they are forced by their religion.. if not by people.

Ilus said:
It seems to me this is a ban on France's freedom of religion more so than a security problem.
If France didn't accept freedom of religion, they would ban even the veils or other religious dresses/signs.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
No one knows if they are being forced or not. Some may be, on the other hand some others don't want to wear it but if their religion says so then they HAVE TO wear it.

If France didn't accept freedom of religion, they would ban even the veils or other religious dresses/signs.
No maybe I did not say well...

What I mean is, this seems to me to be a ban against practicing being a Muslim in France, not an entire ban on religion. From what I can find most Muslim women prefer to wear these burka's to honor their religion, though it has been said by Western propaganda these woman are forced to wear them, I do not think this is correct and was misleading from my findings.

Again I ask is a Burka so different from a ski mask that is very common to find in the cold months? I would guess more than 2000 French wear them in a single year, where as this law is targeted at some 2000 Muslim woman's religious beliefs. Like I mentioned earlier, if it was not only targeting Muslims, then why not change the law ofFreedom of Religion to Freedom from religion? This assures it would not be legal to wear a Burka in public, but also prohibits other religious "icons" or practices outside the home or church for all.

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant

That's what I'm saying. But if they're going to have jail time for men that force women to wear the burka, then they have to actually be able to prove that the women are being forced to wear them. And like I said, there might be little old muslim women that have been wearing one their entire life that actually just like to wear it at this point.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
That's what I'm saying. But if they're going to have jail time for men that force women to wear the burka, then they have to actually be able to prove that the women are being forced to wear them. And like I said, there might be little old muslim women that have been wearing one their entire life that actually just like to wear it at this point.
That's true. It's going to be hard for these women to actually accept this law because I'm sure most of the WANT to wear it.
But they need to choose between the law and their religion(which is a way of life, to them).
I'm sure many of them will have to leave the country and get back to where they came from if they want to keep the burka.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Does anyone know why France is deciding to do this?
There are a other reasons to, take this one for example;

The conservative French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, has expressed concern that the burqa is subjugating women in France. Addressing both parliamentary houses in the Palace of Versailles::
“The burka is not a sign of religion, it is a sign of subservience…It will not be welcome on the territory of the French republic.”
The BBC clarified the different types of Islamic headscarves {below}. Sarkozy emphasized that this isn’t about disrespecting Islam and a group of cross-party French legislators are interested in examining whether women wearing the burqa is undermining French secularism and also whether womem wearing the veil are doing so voluntarily.

Sarkozy, Feminism, & the Burqa {?????} ThickCulture
At first glimpse on this I'd say the French are out of line, how dare they ban a religious garb. But then I googled what a Burka was and found this;

If thats true and a Burka is a 100% concealing veil and! Not the only veil to choose from, then its not so bad of a decision.

Hiei

The Hierophant
That's true. It's going to be hard for these women to actually accept this law because I'm sure most of the WANT to wear it.
But they need to choose between the law and their religion(which is a way of life, to them).
I'm sure many of them will have to leave the country and get back to where they came from if they want to keep the burka.

Which is what makes me think that this can't turn out well. The Muslim world is going to see this as "Everyone is after us!" which in turn, could lead to some retaliation.

I'm not saying that I agree with the Muslim faith and Sheria law, but if you're going to ban anything from any religion, why are you going with the clothes? There are much better things that you can ban. Like killing women for disgracing you.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Is it also illegal for a non-Muslim to wear a scarf over their face when it's really cold out? Or to wear a ski mask when doing something like, I don't know, skiing? Or what about wearing a mask on Halloween?

I'm really dubious about this. If this is about security (which seems dubious), I think that any article would be irresponsible to not at least mention that, if not to also explain it further.

I'm pretty sure that no matter what their reasoning is, this is already a PR nightmare (even if the law doesn't go into effect).

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Is it also illegal for a non-Muslim to wear a scarf over their face when it's really cold out? Or to wear a ski mask when doing something like, I don't know, skiing? Or what about wearing a mask on Halloween?.
Both of these are temporary and can't be compared to a Burka. I understand your example but with a scarf you're not going to cover your whole face. You'll just make it look like you've worn Hijab which lets you show [at least ] your eyes.
You don't use the scarf to cover your eyes, do you?

More or less, the same goes for the halloween or skiing masks. They are kept just one night and everyone is allowed to wear them.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
ice's post is exactly why I'm confused as to why this is such a big deal. I mentioned the hijab, which is one of these

and to my understanding, it covers the relevant parts of the head without completely covering the face.

Oh, by the way, ice? That niqab looks like it'll make someone look like a Muslim ninja.