France - The final step to ban Burka

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by EllyDicious, Sep 14, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

France Bans Muslim Veil | Europe | English

What do you think?
    I'll give my answer later.

2. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

The French government usually does nothing unless there is great gains in it for them. But this, I am not sure I see why they are concerned over such a small thing. Unlike Estonia the French have freedom of religion, much like the USA, so this contradicts this right as I see it. If they wanted to do away with these veils, then why not change its law from freedom OF religion to freedom FROM religion like Estonia? What this does is allow those who wish to practice religion to do so in appropriate places as churches ONLY. So for let me say a Christian, you may not wear a crucifix or holly cross in a public place even if only a necklace as you CAN be told to keep this from sight legally, though in most cases no one will protest it here anyway. This also would be true of Muslim veils or anything else religion based.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. anmracing

anmracing Registered Member

I don't have anything to offer on this but I do have to say that I found it interesting that france (no caps for that name) has the largest population of Muslims in western Europe.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I see Ilus' point and while I agree with it in substance I'll reserve my feelings on it until I've read or heard any public policy reasons for wanting to institute this ban. Does anyone know why France is deciding to do this?

5. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

I researched a little CO, but all I can find as to France's reasoning is they want to know who is under the veils for security purposes... seems a bit extreme to make a law banning them in this case to me when only about 2000 women wear them in public in France. It is a bit confusing to me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

See, that's what I was thinking. That they wanted to do it for security reasons. I don't know from my limited knowledge about France's security problems to say either way whether I agree with this ban or not. So while I see your point about the comparison of wearing a crucifix, there are no security concerns in that instance.

7. EllyDicious

Just like Ilus said, identity is an important issue over there so they want everyone to reveal[at least] their face.

I very much support this law and I think it's fair for the above reason.

Well, it's not about veils but it's about Burka. I think they are two different things. While a veil covers the body and doesn't seem to cause any problem, the Burka covers even the face. That's why they specified "Burka" and not just "veil".
    I'm curious to see what the reaction would be after 6 months when this law comes into power.

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but couldn't Muslim women just wear a hijab? As far as I'm aware, in the religion, a hijab lets them retain their modesty without covering the face.

Sim likes this.
  9. EllyDicious

I've heard that "BUrka" is worn on widow women [when they are from Arabi] but I'm not sure if other Muslim countries use it for the same or other reasons.

Sim likes this.
  10. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Besides security, I don't understand why they'd make such a law. If France has freedom of religion, then they really can't even make this kind of a law since their religion requires them to wear a Burka?

And who's saying that these women are being forced to wear the burka? What if they actually like wearing the burka? I don't see this turning out well. I can see the Muslim world taking this as a "the whole world is turning against us" type scenario.