Fox's coverage of the State of the Union

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by CaptainObvious, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Was split screening Sarah Palin during the SOTU address disrepectful?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2010.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

When Obama was entering last night prior to the State of the Union, Fox News suddenly went to a split screen and brought in Sarah Palin and asked her some questions regarding what she expected the focus of the speech to be.

My question is, do you think this was disrepectful to President Obama?

My answer is yes. This is coverage of the President entering Congress to deliver his first State of the Union, the focus at that time should be on that and that only. If you want to ask her what she thinks, ask her before or ask her after the address, not when he's walking in.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Yes, not only was it disrespectful to the President and the Office of the President, but to the American people as well.

First of all, I think that by doing this, Fox had the intention of subtly telling people what they should expect from the President, and therefore more cause to be outraged when he didn't address those issues.

Second, any actions that show disrespect for the Office of the President, regardless of who holds that office at any given time, diminishes the Office and is a disservice to the American people.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  3. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I watched the whole State of the Union address. Ironically, on Fox News (it was the only channel at the YMCA they had one for new ATM).

I saw this to be honest I didn't take much note of Palin's split screen. The first thing that was running through my mind was "wow is Sarah Palin an analyst?" not "This is disrespectful to the president."

I don't think it was disrespectful. I just think of all the people to ask "what the president will address" she would be...about the last on my list. Right above a retarded chimpanzee.

NINnerd likes this.
  4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I watched it on CNN, so I didn't see the split screen with Sarah Palin, but I have to agree with CO and Jeanie on this one. It would of bothered me if they asked her half an hour before he took the stage.

It would of made more sense(even though I don't believe she should of been asked any questions about the President during the SOTU) but doing while he was making his way to the stage wasn't the smartest thing to do and it showed little class.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

But people DO take her seriously. A frightening number of people.

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I agree. I don't agree with the man, but let him speak. That's just me. I can't criticize the man if I don't know what he is saying.

7. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I'm with Pro...I didn't like Bush at all, really, but I tried to respectfully pay attention to State of the Union Addresses so I could be informed. The split-screen move was tasteless, which unfortunately seems on par for Fox News...further distancing them from actual journalism.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

For those that didn't see it, it was as he was walking in and shaking people's hands. I think it's historic to see any president walk in and give the SOTU address. Let people watch him coming in and making small talk with people instead of listening to her opinion.