Fox News under fire from Canadian Military

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by PretzelCorps, Mar 23, 2009.

1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

AFP: Canadian defense minister takes aim at Fox News

I heard this on the radio today --> Apparently this fellow made some rather disparaging comments regarding the Canadian military efforts in Afghanistan, and has been forced by Canadian Defense Minister Peter McKay to officially apologize to the Canadian Forces.

YouTube - How to lose friends and alienate countries

I have to say, I can definitely understand the outrage that some people are feeling about this --> It is rather disrespectful to the people that have given their lives. But I don't know that the level of freaking out has been really warranted:

1. First of all, they're completely misinformed --> Somehow, I don't think an "operational break" means the Candian military is just going to up and fold. What it means is that there will be no ongoing operations in the field; just training and repairs at home.
    2. I like to imagine that these people don't represent the opinions of the common American --> There are 300 million people down there; it'd be stupid of us to not expect a few Canada-haters.
    3. After watching the actual clip (not just hearing it on the radio), I have to say, it really doesn't look like they're trying to do anything more than get a (really) cheap laugh.
    4. The clip was aired at 3AM, and 99% of America probably doesn't even know it exists.

On the other hand, looking at it from the side of the people that are offended by this: I can only imagine what kind of fallout would have resulted were it a Canadian show making such snide results about the American war effort.......

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I don't think the dude meant to dis Canadian soldiers, but I don't think his comments were intended to be entirely ironic, either. Who cares, though? It's just Fox News, and we all know about them and their wacky shenanigans.

Edit: I suppose Canadians might not so much, and if so, this works as a fitting introduction.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I watch that show sometimes when I'm up late. Its a comedy show basically. Its like stretching out the Jay Leno monologue for an hour. It should be no more offensive than watching the Tonight Show. Nobody takes the show seriously. Most people watching it are probably just waiting on Megan Kelly to come on. :hearts:

4. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

I have watched that show a couple of times and to me, it's idiotic comedy.

The host gets on my very last nerve.

Edited to say: yes, I think he should apologize.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Its Fox [strike]news[/strike].

I would not be offended by it if I were Canadian. I would probably be more ashamed to be American in having such a quality news channel.

PretzelCorps likes this.
  6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I like the fact that the title of the Youtube video in the OP says "How to lose friends and alienate countries" and that seems to be one of the things the U.S. is good at, at least from the last 8 years. And it's just FOX news, not a good channel with accurate information or the ability to produce reason.

7. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Just so you know, I didn't specifically choose that one; it's just the one I ended up with, because I couldn't find one with a better name. :lol:

Yeah, that's more or less what most Canadians were saying on the radio; except for the ones who've lost friends and family to the war, of course...

8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Yeah, being dissed by FOX news is the equivalent of being called a poopy face by a toddler: nothing to dread over.

Bananas likes this.
  9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Sigh,

Europe's been very tentative about committing further to Afghanistan. We need as much support as possible from Canada, even if it's not all continuous. Canada is one of the most experienced peacekeeper nations in the world (114 Canadians have died in UN operations, mostly in Bosnia), so their officers are experienced in dealing with civil conflict.

The good thing is that Fox, despite its high viewership, will never be viewed as a credible articulation of America's collective opinion. However, I don't enjoy hack pundits complicating US foreign relations by generally being fuckers to our long-term allies.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Red Eye's just a poorly written Daily Show with a conservative bent to it, anyway. If Bill O'Reily said it, then I'd be pissed off, but this is more like American Airlines forcing Jerry Seinfeld to give an apology because of his airline food jokes.