Fossil find provides 'missing link' in human evolution

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Bananas, May 20, 2009.

1. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Fossil find provides 'missing link' in human evolution - Times Online

[​IMG]
    This is a really important and extremely rare find that may give us a few more answers to origin of species. Its fascinating that its fur and stomach contents have been preserved over such a long period of time.

2. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

that's some crazy fingers and toes he's got.. looks like he's playing the piano :lol:

Great find though.

3. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Regardless of this find, I don't believe humans evolved from apes or monkeys.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Oooh thats so cool, it's even on the Google homepage.
    ------
    We didn't evolve from apes or monkeys.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
    PretzelCorps and Bananas like this.
  5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Like Snap said, we didn't evolve from apes and monkeys. If this is the missing link, it'll actually prove that we're closer to lemurs than monkeys.

But I think this is an absolutely amazing find. I can't wait til Monday when the History Channel airs the documentary about it.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I got some bad news for you, Sunshine.

we are apes.

icegoat63 likes this.
  7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

hahaha I love how some people hate to recognize that even though we're more advanced than the standard monkey... we're still in the "Order of Primates" or even our "Superfamily" of Hominoidea. In all honesty it doesnt surprise me, I mean in my opinion we're no better than any other critter on this planet outside of the fact that we're to smart for our own good :hah:
    ~~~~~

The find is amazing. I think the thing that blows my mind more than the find itself is that we claim to be masters of our planet... but yet we're still picking up on monumental finds like this in our own backyard almost yearly!

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

My theory on this is simple. There wouldn't be just ONE missing link. In fact, at the rate it supposedly took species to evolve into new species, there'd be hundreds of thousands of missing links, all slightly different than each other. We're talking about micro evolution over a period of tens of thousands of years. That's how macro evolution supposedly happens. So instead of one link, we'd need to find a few thousand. You don't go from 1 to 100 with a missing link of 50. You'd need the rest of the steps as well, as minute as they are.

Right now all this proves is that another species once existed that looked like the fossilized creature.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

But Hybrix it is not just a link it is a link in the chain of links that unfurl the story of primate evolution. The problem being is finding the links and the further you go back in time the less likely the links are of surviving or even being found.

The last 1-2 million years we have hundreds and hundreds of links, then as we go further back in time they get more and more sparce. What is so important about this link is its age, at 47 million years old it is one of the oldest pieces of the order that we humans are a part of. It is basically the oldest link we have found.

Using your 1-100 analogy we have complete links for 80-100 already, we also have a handful in the 70's, a couple in the 60's , 1 or 2 in the 50's and now we have this one to put all the way back in the 40's. It is a monumental find.

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag