• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Forums VS Social Media

Wade8813

Registered Member
It has been theorized many times that social media (specifically Facebook) hurts activity here on GF. So, I wanted to discuss what advantages social media has, what advantages forums have, and if there's anything we might be able to incorporate that they do.

Any thoughts?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think the forum advantage is the focus. We discuss specific topics and threads of thinking, and have extensive conversations. Yes, you can do that on Facebook or Twitter, but they're more for random thoughts.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The feel is completely different between fb (the only social media I'm on) and forums. I'm trying hard to come up with a good analogy but I'm failing, so I guess I'll just agree with Dan and say the biggest difference between the two is the focus. I don't agree that social media will kill forums because there is such a different feel between them.

I feel far more comfortable discussing certain topics here than I do on fb. Also, each person has control over their social media page. I can delete any comment anyone makes on my statuses, and delete them from my friends altogether. Here, I can ignore someone, but I can't make them go away.

I can control what my own page looks like, what it feels like, how much humor is mixed with daily life stories and political/social commentary.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
Social media has its purpose, which is really useful. I am a fan of Facebook, because without it I am able to keep in touch with old school friends and other people I would never be able to otherwise keep in touch with. I'm also very vaguely familiar with tumblr, which doesn't float my boat. What I like about message boards is the provide an alternative, more focused interaction. Social media feels like everyone just shouting at once, with people shouting back. Message boards are more focused, collaborative shouting.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I think the big thing for me is mobile accessibility. I can fb and twitter from my phone with ease. I can't do that here. Though that doesn't apply to all forums. Some forums have mobile sites.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
To me the Social media is for less serious stuff, is for fun and casual jokes/chats.
In no way would I compare a forum with a social media.
A forum runs differently.... you can discuss, share thoughts, think, learn to debate and exchange opinions...
It's one of the best means to discuss different topics in a more thoughtful/serious way.

To me, the social media is not as important as a forum. I can stay here all day, while on FB I stay 10 min. a day. (5 min. in the morning, 5 min. at night and that's it).
The social media to me is a waste of time. It has its good sides but it's not worth spending most of you internet time on there.

WickedRex

Registered Member
Social media has it's place. I like Facebook and Twitter - even though it wasn't mentioned in the original post - because it's a way for me to get out quick thoughts at the time, and to check in with friends and family that I haven't talked to in a while. Twitter is used mainly to follow celebrities that I find interesting - in all honesty.

Where forums are concerned, it's been a long time since I've been a part of a forum, and the last time it was part of an online e-fed wrestling website. Forums make me think outside the box, and especially about topics that I normally wouldn't be concerned about. And, with forums, its a chance to meet new people from all over the world, where as Facebook, it's just people you already know.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
I think the forum advantage is the focus. We discuss specific topics and threads of thinking, and have extensive conversations. Yes, you can do that on Facebook or Twitter, but they're more for random thoughts.
I agree with this 100%

ocial media has its purpose, which is really useful. I am a fan of Facebook, because without it I am able to keep in touch with old school friends and other people I would never be able to otherwise keep in touch with.
This is exactly what I use Facebook for and I've even got together with a few old friends at a local bar to watch football games a few times last winter.

Forums are more topical and and more people can help you with whatever you need help with and this forum has tons of categories to post in too.

I never tried twitter and from what I have seen it looks boring with all the #this # that# and this # and this seems cheesy to me.