• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Forums vs. Facebook, Instagram, Etc?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What draws you to forums vs. Facebook and other social media? A lot of people prefer Facebook groups or other social media types to forums. For you as a forum user, why do you like forums and do you see that changing as social media evolves?

I've been on forums since 1999, so I'm a little biased starting this thread. I enjoy the fact that you can have organized discussions on forums far easier than on Facebook comments. I also like that you can easily find old things you posted. I feel half of the searches I do on Google send me to some forum where the topic was being discussed. I far prefer this to just having quick casual discussions in social media comments.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I’m not a big fan of Facebook anymore. I browse it for about ten minutes a day.

I’ve always been attached to forums - I do not what it is, but I just can’t stay away from them. Maybe it’s because you can discuss all sorts of different topics.

However, Twitter trumps all. I’m addicted to Twitter. I have about 77k. I can also browse it for hours pretty easily. In addition, I love how you can get news really fast. Yes, you need to check a few sources at times, but it’s fast.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I am a big fan of forums. I have bounced around numerous ones over the past 12-13 years. GF/PM has been my longest. I was also a huge fan of ReHorror but sadly that one got shutdown. As to why I like them, I have no idea. I think you named a couple of big reasons Mirage.

Facebook is important because of family. I don't spend as much time on there anymore, but it's where I go to check in on family and friends that aren't close by.

Twitter is cool and I am far more active on there than I used to be. I don't tweet a lot, but it's where I go to see when new music is dropping and video game news. I also follow lots of fantasy and sports experts. It's a lot of fun and a good way to kill time.

Carmelita

Registered Member
I agree that forums are organized much better than social media. You can go to a specific topic and see the discussion that follows and its progression. I know you can reply on FB but I feel more at home on forums. I hope there is a swing toward more usage of forums.

NellyBell

Registered Member
I like forums better for a lot of the reasons people have already mentioned. For one, I've been on forums for a while now so I'm comfortable with them. Secondly, I like that I can be personable, get to know and connect with people, and still have a sense of anonymity. I also like that it means I can be a part of discussions without having to worry about people I know finding them. It helps me be more honest and it's not so stressful. Like others have said, I like the organizational structure of forums better too and it's much easier to follow the thread of a conversation. There isn't one reply with a hundred of sub-replies. They can just start another topic. As for forums versus Twitter...bah, I barely understand Twitter.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I agree that forums are better tooled to provide good guidelines on a specific discussion. It's easier to contain a specific discussion on a board than on social media where things can go awry rather quickly. I mostly use Facebook like a calendar where our friends plan some gatherings and stuff.

MissMe

Registered Member
I prefer forums. Facebook seems to be more a place for people to show off or complain and seek attention. In a forum you get a group of people with the same interests as you and people who want to have meaningful conversations.

Impaired

Registered Member
Facebook is for sharing photos and such with friends and family. Forums are for talking to people you don't know. You can talk about all the unsafe subjects that are frowned upon; politics, religion, pineapple on pizza....

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I prefer forums for pretty much the same reasons as others have mentioned.

You will never find me on facebook and I don't tweet.