Forum Game - Star Wars: Heroes and Villains [Sign Up]

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The purpose of this thread is twofold: one, to announce a new game idea I've come up with called Star Wars: Heroes and Villains, and two, to act as a Signing Up thread for the game.

I'm not sure if something like this has been done on GF, but I've come up with an idea that I'll call an LRPG - or a Literature Role Playing Game. The basis of the game is thus: a player creates a character to use. The character's can either be good (Heroes) or evil (Villains), and are divided between four classes:
- Jedi
- Sith
- Jedi Allies
- Sith Mercenaries

The player then creates storylines in the form of 'Missions'. These storylines will then be judged by the rest of GF to decide, effectively, who wins.

Each player is entered into a preliminary poll by the GameMaster (GM) - in this case, me - and the public (GF) choose the character they wish to enter into what is called a Duel, which is basically a fight between two characters.

The two players (one Hero, one Villain) with the highest votes from the preliminary poll are then entered into the Duel Poll. The Duel Poll has three options concerning the outcome of the Duel - two to decide which player wins the fight, and one for a tie between the two characters.

The winning team is the surviving team - therefore, if all the Sith and/or Mercs are killed, the Hero team will win. If all the Jedi and/or Allies are killed, the Villains win.

Story

The game is set several hundred years before the films. The Sith have defied tradition, and have gathered many disciples of the Dark Side. Their numbers bolstered by Mercenaries, they are sent to do the bidding of the Sith Master throughout the known galaxies, spreading fear and terror everywhere. In response, the Jedi Council has called together the most promising of the Jedi, as well as friends of the Jedi Order (Allies), to counter-attack the Sith and their agents.

Each side must strive to destroy the other by writing the best storylines and gaining the votes of the public.

Rules

- Players must write stories containing only their character(s);
- Active characters can only be killed during Duels, which are decided through public polls;
- Missions can only be set by GM's;
- Players cannot write their own deaths, or the deaths of others - Duels are written by GM's;
- Players should have at least a basic knowledge of Star Wars;
- Players cannot include or use actual Star Wars characters or names;
- Once killed, players can no longer participate or post within the game thread;
- Swearing or abuse of any kind is disallowed within the game thread;
- Proper grammar and spelling should be used throughout;
- Consistency should be maintained through the storylines.

Character Guidelines

Players should think hard about their characters before entering them. Even minute details can add to a better storyline. Descriptions should include:

- Name of Character
- Type of Character (Jedi, Sith, Ally, or Merc)
- Race of Character (droids are only available as Allies or Mercs)
- Home world (optional)
- Appearance (hair colour, clothing, etc)
- Personality
- Weapons (including lightsaber colour)
- Preferred mission style: Stealth; Offensive; Both/either.

Please note that only Jedi and Sith can use Lightsaber's and the Force.

Players may also include any details they deem necessary. Players should also remember that while making up a world or race is allowed, they should keep things to an acceptable level.

Back storys of characters can be entered into the game thread when it is created.

When signing up, a player should start their post with the words Sign Up as a header/title.

To make things easier for any prospective players, I have created my own characters, who will receive their own missions, yet will discluded from polls,as they are necessary to the production of the storyline.

Name: Seinon (pronounced SAY-nun)
Character Type: Jedi
Race: Human
Home World: Arcanum
Appearance: Average build; Dark hair; Dark brown eyes; Clothing: dark brown Padawan robe
Personality: Quiet, determined, curious
Weapons: Blue Lightsaber (straight handled)
Mission Preference: Any

Name: Rhüit (pronounced ROO-wit)
Character Type: Sith
Race: Human
Home World: Taris
Appearance: Average build; Blonde hair; Light blue eyes; Clothing: Black Sith robes
Personality: Cruel, intelligent
Weapons: Red Lightsaber (straight handled)
Mission Preference: Any

Please feel free to comment or sign up. :)

Last edited:

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt

Name: MAngrorm (MAY-NG- RO-RM
Character Type: Sith
Race: Bothan
Home World: Botha
Appearance: Average build; Black hair; Eyes: Steel Grey; Clothing: black cloak
Personality: Angery, agressive, patient, a loner
Weapons: Red Lightsaber (curve handled with an extra powercore), a blaster pistol, vibro blade knife
Mission Preference: Assasinations

Last edited:

Steerpike

Registered Member
The player then creates storylines in the form of 'Missions'. These storylines will then be judged by the rest of GF to decide, effectively, who wins.

Each player is entered into a preliminary poll by the GameMaster (GM) - in this case, me - and the public (GF) choose the character they wish to enter into what is called a Duel, which is basically a fight between two characters.

The two players (one Hero, one Villain) with the highest votes from the preliminary poll are then entered into the Duel Poll. The Duel Poll has three options concerning the outcome of the Duel - two to decide which player wins the fight, and one for a tie between the two characters.

The winning team is the surviving team - therefore, if all the Sith and/or Mercs are killed, the Hero team will win. If all the Jedi and/or Allies are killed, the Villains win.
You might re-consider the game mechanics here. This set-up has potential for abuse of favoritism/bias for/against players based on what other forum members think of them rather than on the basis of merit of how a character is constructed.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
You might re-consider the game mechanics here. This set-up has potential for abuse of favoritism/bias for/against players based on what other forum members think of them rather than on the basis of merit of how a character is constructed.
I know. I'm afraid I'm having to rely on this system due to the fact that, despite poring over my notebooks for about four days, I was unable to come up with a working system. The systems I did come up with are useless.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, perhaps through PM? :)

Steerpike

Registered Member
I know. I'm afraid I'm having to rely on this system due to the fact that, despite poring over my notebooks for about four days, I was unable to come up with a working system. The systems I did come up with are useless.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, perhaps through PM? :)
What would E. Gary Gygax do? :lol:

1. As the Gamemaster, you do not relinquish control of the game.

2. The use of die rolls to determine some outcomes can avoid favoritism on the part of the GM.

3. The "missions" should have more emphasis on role playing than on popularity as this is supposed to be a role playing game.

Your current set-up is "go make up a character" and let others vote whether that character lives or dies. There is no actual role playing there.

To GM a role playing game well, requires putting in both creative and administrative work.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Actually, I considered both die-rolling and card-drawing systems, but I decided that an outright public vote (with the players excluded, obviously) would be the best option.

Or the worst, if the good people of GF aren't as good as I hope. :lol:

The basis of the game is more about creating a character and then showing off your writing abilities. I hope that skill will determine this rather than 'who likes who more'.

Steerpike

Registered Member
Actually, I considered both die-rolling and card-drawing systems, but I decided that an outright public vote (with the players excluded, obviously) would be the best option.

Or the worst, if the good people of GF aren't as good as I hope. :lol:

The basis of the game is more about creating a character and then showing off your writing abilities. I hope that skill will determine this rather than 'who likes who more'.
Once they create the character, then they appear to be done in any active sense. What would be the point?

If you alot a certain number of points for character creation, then each player can customize according to the points spent. You might consider something along the line of GURPS which includes advantages and disadvantages. Once characters are created in this way, then you as GM set up the storyline. You set the stage for the characters to interact on, and then make sure that it is level for that interaction. Actually, permitting roleplaying can allow each player to use their imagination and problem solving ability to overcome obstacles and try to achieve goals. Those goals can be both from NPC's and from themselves.

Fantasy Roleplaying (which is what you are proposing) is meant to be fun for everyone involved in the game.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The point is in the writing ability of each player. They do not simply make their character and end the game. Each player will write several storylines before any voting is done, with only the mission parameters as a vague guideline. Thus, their skill as a writer comes into play.

I did try to think up several point schemes, but as I said, they were failures.

Besides, the game does not start until we have sufficient players to make it interesting, which allows enough time to come up with further systems to augment the current voting one.

Steerpike

Registered Member
The point is in the writing ability of each player. They do not simply make their character and end the game. Each player will write several storylines before any voting is done, with only the mission parameters as a vague guideline. Thus, their skill as a writer comes into play.
When should the participants expect to have fun in this "game?"

I did try to think up several point schemes, but as I said, they were failures.
There is no need to "re-invent the wheel."

GURPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
When should the participants expect to have fun in this "game?
I believe the fun comes from each writer trying to think up an imaginative storyline for each mission. As I see it so far, it's pretty much a writing competition, and it is possible for competitors to find the creation process of a story entertaining.

Meanwhile, you seem to be going at it as if it were an RPG. Were it an RPG, and if it becomes an RPG, I'd be more enclined to point out the WotC Star Wars RPG.

Last edited: