Former WWE headliner who was Randy Couture's first UFC opponent passes away

Anthony1975

Registered Member
From Figure Four Online

Tony Halme, who wrestled under his real name with New Japan Pro Wrestling as a headliner in the early 90s, and as Ludwig Borga for WWF in the mid-90s, passed away last night in Finland. No details are available regarding the cause of death. Halme was 46.
Halme, a 6-3, 300-pound powerlifter and boxer, was Randy Couture's first-ever opponent on May 30, 1997. Couture won the match via choke in 57 seconds.
I thought he was a pretty good wrestler back in the day and he got easy heat with his hatred of America.

Without reading the OP and the title alone I thought it might have been Brock Lesnar. I was really getting nervous until I fully read it.

Mr. Halme was still VERY young, and it's always sad to see somebody young pass away. R.I.P. =(

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I'm glad he's dead! Because of that piece of foreign trash I mispronounced Victor Borge's name for many years.

/kayfabe

R.I.P.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's a twist in this story...

The Finnish tabloid newspaper, Ilta-Sanomat, is reporting that former WWE grappler Tony Halme (a/k/a Ludvig Borga) committed suicide using an illegally acquired firearm. To read the article, click here.

On Sunday, Halme was found dead in his apartment in Helsinki, Finland. He was 47 years old.
Hmmm

Anthony1975

Registered Member
When any Wrestler dies Dave Meltzer always does a story on it followed by a career history, here is what was reported about the death

His death was believed to have been from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police in Finland would not confirm the cause of death without permission of relatives, but the tabloid newspaper Iltasanomat, claimed an unlicensed gun was found next to his body and the death was due to suicide. In recent years, he had battled drug and alcohol problems, and three years ago was committed to a mental institution which he blamed on delirium from substance abuse. Last month he noted that he was suffering from memory loss, and was destitute.