• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

format partition withou losing data

stephen1

hi there.
i'm new here, and i have a problem with my HD. my HD is 500GB, i have Drive C which contains os, and Drive DEF. i want to format my drive c to re-install os but i don't want to lose data on other drives, anyone have any ideas?

thx~:)

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Run GParted and burn it as an ISO. It will show the partitions that you have. Pop it in your CD tray and reboot. Before your OS loads, GParted will run. Follow the on screen instructions. Just pick the one with the OS on it and format it. It will not affect the other partition. I just did it with my tower when I installed Win 7. The 3rd partition with all my info on it was fine, and the files are still there.

Oh and format it as a NTFS...

Last edited:

stephen1

thx a lot:)
but are there any other adivice. i mean withou a burn on cd
and if there any other softwares or windows has? i dont want to spend too much time on it

thx again~

MindoverMaster

Registered Member
Damn you, Pro2A!!!

But yes, GParted will allow you to expand the partitions. You need to boot off the CD. It's a quick fix. Will take you less than 10 minutes.

k3rm0r

Registered Member
U don´t need gparted since any OS instalation will be able to format your c partition when u boot up with a dvd/usb stick/usb disk, so no real need for gparted. then just hit advanced before installing your OS, find c: hit format on it and select it for your OS instlation partition after.

MindoverMaster

Registered Member
Me and Pro2A live by the GParted rule. It is more advanced than Windows format.

As said on another forum:

"Sorry, Alvin, but Windows version of formatting is like using a greasy shop rag to sterilize surgical instruments" -Trotter

We instruct everyone to use it.

Arathald

Registered Member
Me and Pro2A live by the GParted rule. It is more advanced than Windows format.

As said on another forum:

"Sorry, Alvin, but Windows version of formatting is like using a greasy shop rag to sterilize surgical instruments" -Trotter

We instruct everyone to use it.
Actually, I would go the opposite direction with this. As of Vista, the built-in Windows partition manager allows in-place shrinking and expansion of NTFS partitions, previously one of GParted's major advantages over it. Yes, it's true that GParted supported this long before Windows did, but why? It's because NTFS resizing was (and still is) experimental and potentially dangerous. It was easy to hose an ntfs partition this way if you didn't know what you were doing or were unlucky.

A feature like this won't make it into Windows unless it has been rigorously tested and is very unlikely to cause catastrophic failures. Now that it's in Windows, it is better supported and safer than the equivalent linux tools. The Windows partition manager is not like using a greasy shop rag to sterilize surgical instruments, but is rather like bringing your car to the people who designed and built it to get it fixed instead of going to the guy down the street who tinkers in his garage.

There are things that Linux does a better job of than Windows, sure, but partitioning isn't one of them. I'd rather go to the people who invented NTFS to do sensitive work on it.

(Obligatory disclosure: Even though I have nothing to do with the Windows filesystem or partition manager, I do work for Microsoft in the Windows division. I also have been an avid Linux user for years, and continue to be very active in a couple of Linux communities providing technical support.)

stephen1

thx for ur help :)
I formatted my Drive C with os disk and reinstalled the os, other data r ok,
just timeconsuming:sigh:

Arathald

Registered Member
Do what you want, but GParted can do all that as well.
(1) I don't mind you reposting my comments to another forum, but please don't do so without the proper context (namely your post), and don't start out by claiming that I was bashing gparted. By itself, my comment may appear to be 'gparted bashing', but it was in reply to your specific comments about the windows partition manager (also see point #2).

(2) I'll admit when I'm wrong, and, in this case, I misspoke. I didn't mean to say that GParted/other Linux tools aren't better at partition management than the windows partition manager, but only in the topic we were specifically talking about, resizing NTFS partitions (I asked the Linux gurus I know to make sure I wasn't off my rocker, and they still consider NTFS resizing, and NTFS write operations in general, to be unsafe).

(3) Yes, I might be somewhat biased, being a Microsoft employee. There's a reason I gave the disclosure, I didn't want to hide that fact. I'm interested in having open and frank discussions about topics like these, and not bringing any fanboyism into the mix (on either side). Keep in mind, though, the other half of the disclosure, and the fact that I do myself run Linux, and do think it is better for a number of things. My assessment of the dangers of NTFS write operations are based on my own personal experience -- the NTFS tools on Linux have failed catastrophically on me several times. Luckily, I kept backups. I've never had the Windows partition manager break anything by resizing an NTFS partiton.

Last edited: